1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box Attire - College Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JM22720, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In the spirit of the late, lamented Frank Ridgeway, I'm going to suggest the Original Poster learn about men's clothes. You can never go wrong in a well-cut suit.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Welcome back. I can see where the annual, "What should I wear to cover a college football game in the South?" thread is hard to resist.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Like John Wick, I'm not entirely sure I'm back.

But threads like this are why God invented seersucker.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, sure, as long as you match your seersucker with a pair of bucks rather than wreck the look with your black dress shoes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

When I was first covering major junior hockey, I remember being in a press box where a guy who usually covered the NHL and whose work I respected was wearing a jacket, a dress shirt and a nice pair of khakis, while another regular was wearing a stained t-shirt and jogging pants. At that time, I decided pretty quickly who I should emulate.

That said, the other guy was collecting a regular paycheck and getting as many inches in the competing daily... so I guess there's no one way to get the job done. For me, though, I think if you can still be comfortable, dressing better is never a bad thing.

6. moonlight

moonlight Member

Used to cover golf in my previous life. One guy who worked a lot of the same events for a major metro oftentimes showed up in basketball shorts and a t-shirt. Golf PR people threatened to throw him out of some events, but as far as I know they never actually did. He always defended himself by saying he wasn't going to be on camera, so what he wore was irrelevant. Don't be that guy.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

JM22720, what did you wear? What were most people wearing? Haven't been in a press box in over a decade, but if it was a football game in a warm-weather city, I'd go with khakis and a golf shirt, or possibly a button down short sleeved shirt.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a knee-length skirt?

It's much cooler than pants, if that's the main concern. Or are you trying to hide your legs?

Riptide likes this.
  9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Good point, these yams gotta breathe

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Tucking in a T-shirt is never a good idea.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What level of sports do you cover?

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

College. I chip in with high school in a pinch.

Draft saved Draft deleted