1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 5 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here are the most interesting games and lines for Week 5. As always, all point spreads from Vegas Insider and all times Eastern:

Thursday

Texas (-5.5) at Iowa State, 8 p.m., ESPN

Friday

Miami (-5) at Duke, 7 p.m., ESPN

Nebraska (-7) at Illinois, 8 p.m., Fox Sports 1

BYU (-3.5) at Utah State, 8 p.m., CBS Sports Network

USC (-4) at Washington State, 10:30 p.m., ESPN

Saturday

Northwestern (+14.5) at Wisconsin, noon, ABC

Vanderbilt (+9.5) at Florida, noon, ESPN

North Carolina (+9.5) at Georgia Tech, noon, ESPN2

Florida State (-7.5) at Wake Forest, 3:30 p.m., ABC

Georgia (-7) at Tennessee, 3:30 p.m., CBS

Baylor (+14) at Kansas State, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2

Iowa (+3.5) at Michigan State, 4 p.m., Fox

Mississippi State (+9.5) at Auburn, 6 p.m., ESPN

Memphis (+3.5) at Central Florida, 7 p.m., ESPN2

Air Force (pick ’em) at New Mexico, 7 p.m., CBS Sports Network

South Carolina (+9.5) at Texas A&M, 7:30 p.m., SEC

Clemson (-6.5) at Virginia Tech, 8 p.m., ABC

Oklahoma State (-11) at Texas Tech, 8 p.m., Fox

Ole Miss (+28) at Alabama, 9 p.m., ESPN

Colorado (+6.5) at UCLA, 10:30 p.m., ESPN2

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Baylor (+14)
    Texas Tech (+11) and over whatever the number is. Guessing somewhere around 80.
    Colorado seems like a tasty treat here because UCLA can't stop anybody.
    I know Ole Miss is down, but 28 still seems like a ton.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Duke getting five at home tempts. I don't think that much of Miami.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Florida hasn't beaten anyone by more than six and they're giving 9 and a half to Vandy? And that's a lot of points between SC and TexAM, seems like it should be a pick-em.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Had a really, really stellar week (probably the best in 2 or 3 years). Won just about every side except for Mizzou. They're now 0-4. The line HAS to catch up on how awful they are, eventually.

Chef, I love ya but I'd go the other way on all of them. Baylor and Texas Tech looked great last week. All the more reason to go against them the next week.

I absolutely love Duke +5 at home.

I look for the games where a Week 5 team didn't cover vs. a Week 4 team that did:

Michigan State
    Oklahoma State
    South Carolina
    Mississippi State
    Florida State
    (wincing)... Tennessee

Gimme Illinois.

Also like Northwestern as they, for whatever reason, often play Wisconsin very close at Camp Randall.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I have no idea what to make of TAMU, especially on offense.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Barry Odom feels you, Online Mizzou Community That Drew Up A List Of Replacement Coaches Five Minutes After Kickoff Saturday.

Four-minute speech to begin postgame press conference. "I'm going to win here. That's going to happen. We will win. This is a turnaround. Anyway you slice it or dice it or want to look at it, this is a turnaround process. And unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I'm built for this because I've been in a whole heck of a lot of them my entire life." And more. Lots more.

Very unlikely he ever figures out how to win. They can't even snap the ball properly.

Transcript: Odom unleashes fiery 'state of the program' address after Mizzou loss

Video:

8. exmediahack

On Saturday night, "Barry Odom" was my topline on Twitter as I have a somewhat Missouri/Kansas-centric Twitter. I assumed he had gotten fired on the field. Nope, just his cry for help.

Larry Smith had a similar meltdown at Mizzou in 2000. He was gone four weeks later.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Turn around? He replaced one of the two greatest coaches in program history who was one year removed from back-to-back SEC East titles.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm kind of amazed at the recruiting Cuonzo Martin has done with the hoops program so far, considering the racial unrest in Missouri seems to have affected the football program. Sure, you just hire the dad of the best player in the country - but there are others as well.

11. exmediahack

I think it's different with basketball. Porter will only be on campus one year. Maybe even only until Spring Break. Six months as a lottery pick basketball player isn't enough time to feel oppressed, even in Columbia.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Also, it's the Porter Bros.' hometown. That might get lost in the shuffle since Jr. is a graduate of a Seattle high school (moved there as a senior), but he grew up in Columbia and his sisters are the stars of the women's team.

Weird thing is, by most measures the football recruiting has been pretty good the last couple of years too. Consensus is a couple of classes in the 40s which is way higher than you'd expect given what's on the field.

Odom simply doesn't seem like a game-day coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted