1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Considering my experiences with "hockey culture," which entails a larger-than-average ratio of overwhelmingly white families that are rural, affluent or both, I'm not. And then I'll get the 'please like my sport' crowd retweeting them all week.

JC likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's like, oh, every other controversy involving Trump. Instead of doing the STFU thing, he got into it deeper. Just like the disinvite to the White House for the Warriors before they'd even talked about if they want to go.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's a shit sandwich. Many of the facets that create a stable court environment (e.g., right to confront one's accuser, rigorous examination of an accuser's credibility), openly traumatize a victim and make them less likely to come forward or receive justice if wronged.

The Clery Act requires schools to be transparent about crimes on their campuses, but doing so then makes them less attractive in the market, which leads to noxious coverups such as what happened at Eastern Michigan about a decade ago (in which administrators covered up a rape/murder in a dorm [of a white girl by a black non student] for weeks until after the class drop deadline.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just post the tweet to the link instead of the screen shot. It's easy.

That way, we don't have to wonder if you're posting made-up bullshit again.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The President should be grateful that the media is distracted by the NFL and N. Korea BS, Puerto Rico was slammed - and these are US citizens who pay billions of US taxes every year and pay into Social Security.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They're not real Americans though.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Judging from my Facebook feed, I feel like I'm the only American who can respect Kaepernick and other players taking a knee during the anthem and the players like Villanueva who show great pride during the anthem.
    We all have led different lives and our different experiences have shaped the way we feel about this country, the anthem and the flag. Being an American means we are able to express our feelings.
    In the preamble to the Constitution the goal - or "mission statement" - of our country is laid out pretty plainly. To form "a more perfect Union." Pretty clear that our work will never be - nor should be considered, complete, that we should always strive to improve. I think that is what Kaepernick and the players taking a knee are hoping for - and what Villanueva, a child of foreign nationals who was born in this country - has fought for and is honoring when he stands.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I respect Kaepernick for having the courage of his convictions. ... similar to how I always respected Muhammad Ali for having the guts to put his boxing career on the line. In the case of Ali, I think he was largely a dupe being used by others (a whole other conversation). Even if he was courageous.

In the case of Kaepernick, I think he fell into all kinds of traps. For one, if you want to actually persuade people of something, the best way is never to do something you know will insult them deep down. Now, I can see someone arguing that he had to piss a lot of people off to get this kind of attention (otherwise who gives a crap about Colin Kaepernick?), and that tact has merit when you are talking about extreme and acute injustice. But his problem was that he wasn't protesting anything tangible enough. An effective protest (one that can effect actual change) shines a light on something very specific and unjust, and it does it in a very targeted and specific way. It's Rosa Parks refusing to go the back of the bus. When it's a general, "America is racist, so I'll make my point by kneeling when everyone else stands for the flag," you may as well be protesting everything and nothing. In my opinion, this is where a lot of protests go wrong. The passion leads to lack of focus, and people paint the country with too broad of a brush. That loses potentially sympathetic people to a targeted cause, if there was one.

Regardless of my opinion about that. ... the anthem, the flag. ... they are not these sacrosanct things that define our country (or any country). Our country is the sum of all of our values and actions; it's not drooling worship of a symbol. It's super sad to me that we put a colossal ass, who values nothing worthwhile, into the oval office. Out of all the shitty things he has done, this is one that particularly bothers me. In the space of less than 2 months, his moral turpitude first had him showing no concern about racism itself in the case of Charlottesville, and now making a douchy show of how offended he is by a black athlete peacefully trying to protest racism. That isn't a "dog whistle." That's Trump demonstrating that he is an outright dick.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This didn't come out of nowhere. Villanueva has been critical of the protests during the anthem in the past and he said he will always stand and sing for the anthem no matter what. Mike Tomlin dodged the question when asked about what Villanueva did, but he seemed pissed that the guy broke ranks. He should have known better.

One thing that wasn't made clear with all the coverage is that the entire team was standing right behind him, but back in the shadows. I've seen a picture. Some of them were just standing. Some had their hands on their hearts. Take that however you like, but it sure didn't seem like they had an issue with what Villanueva did.

I assume you were kidding when you suggested he did that to boost sales of his jersey. I doubt it was about job security, either. Villanueva just got a big contract extension right before the season. He's not great, but he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Edit: I know I saw a better shot, but here's one I found. This isn't the picture most people used, which showed only Villanueva. If you look over his shoulder, you can see the team behind him.

[​IMG]

Also, I believe both teams in the Titans-Seahawks game stayed in the locker room for the anthem.

Vombatus and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Right there. I see it.

There's a grassy knoll too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.