1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box Attire - College Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JM22720, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, ideally you'd be able to write a little and not look like a slob. It ain't that hard. My overall point: It is never OK to represent the organization that pays you looking like a slob. Yes, I get it, the coat and tie days are over and I'm fine with that. I'm OK with jeans. But do not be a slob. I don't care how well you write, you won't represent my department looking that way. Plenty of top-notch writers out there who can clean up a little bit.

Also guys WHO. Also not that hard.

Carry on.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't get this. Coaches are often running around or certainly moving animatedly bc they are actually on the field or near a court. You're not a member of the coaching staff, so I don't understand why you're trying to mimic their outfits. Jeans, blazer and a dress shirt but no tie. Can't go wrong with that look.

Liut and Moderator1 like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Twenty-five years in coverage and this worked for me. If it's hot, golf slacks and golf shirt. If it's cool, same with a sports jacket. Colder than that, a sweater as part of the ensemble. Footwear, whatever keeps them dry in the walk from the parking lot (important in New England). Only criticism I ever got was from Rod Carew, who did not like my colorful late-70s golf slacks and said in a tone of total contempt "Tell me, who's your tailor?"

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You're so funny.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And you might need an enema

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I tend not to wear ties unless I'm at funerals or NHL games in Montreal. But I don't do golf shirts either, although they are fine. Always a jacket and button down, sometimes jeans, sometimes slacks, usually depends on the occasion. Yes college football in the south in September can get warm but the press boxes are usually air conditioned so you will eventually dry off. If you sweat like a madman regardless, don't wear the jacket while you are walking from your car to the stadium.

Or just wear a Whitlock Ball State jersey. Either way is good with me.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Just remember to wear pants.

8. Doc Holliday

Such a funny guy.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My former SE late on a fall Friday afternoon:

"Sneakers and jeans, huh? Sneakers and jeans? Know who's wearing sneakers and jeans tonight? The guys at (10,000 daily down the road). You can join them anytime you like. I'll help you.

"Sneakers and jeans?"

:p

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Wronged by the industry? Huh? Please tell me more about me.

11. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Generally for me, it would be a polo/dress shirt, jeans/khakis and sneakers/loafers (all depended on how I was feeling and where I was going).

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Now you tell me.

Draft saved Draft deleted