1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rainman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's been there for a super long time. Might be good to give his face a rest from the WWE crowd for a bit.

Rainman likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, he saw Heenan's antics and decided to get out of the wrestling business and go into TV talk shows.

(Insert, "Will you stop!" right here.)

Letterman was the ring announcer for Dick the Bruiser's promotion in the 1970s, and Heenan began his career in that promotion before joining the AWA, so it's not surprising that Letterman probably had a ringside seat to seeing him perform.

Rainman likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Agreed. That said, I do believe the WWE dropped the ball after he cashed-in on Del Rio the night after Wrestlemania.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Part of that was because Ziggler got KOed by a concussion right after and he had to miss several weeks. That killed all his momentum.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Trouble with Ziggler is always the follow up. Watch the last 15 minutes of that Survivor Series he won for Cenas team in 2014 I think, maybe 2015, but its red hot. That shouldve been the rub to get him back to where he was post cash in.

Then Sting comes out, the story with Dolph goes no where and I dont even think his Mania match that year was anything.

They gotta figure out the "Now What" with him next time he gets that hot. And hes so talented there will prob be a next time.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. JimmyHoward33

Cena on his ‘hang up’ with Roman as WWE’s top star, locker room ‘complacency’

Interesting stuff from Cena on the complacency. It IS the most talented locker room they've ever had. As smarks, we drag on the creative a lot. Are the wrestlers more to blame because they don't challenge the creative or they don't ask questions to understand it, and increase their ability to make it more believable?

I forgot who said it but I heard one of the old school guys talking about how he thinks he complacency comes from having no where else to go. In the 90s, if you ruffled too many feathers trying to ask questions or get better stories, you'd be off to the other Monday night show. Now the guys don't want to end up going over the line......what's the right balance? Seems like some guys (Kevin Owens comes to mind) have it and some guys just don;t....

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Jericho's latest podcast is with Cody, and it's a good one touching on his decision to leave WWE and spread his own wings in ROH and the indies. Jericho made a good point how Cody left WWE as a midcard guy, but he's building such a following in ROH/indies, that he could come back as a main guy if he ever returns to WWE.

PodcastOne: Cody (don't call him) Rhodes Returns

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

9. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I think Braun needs to flat out destroy Lesnar. It will solidify him as the unstoppable force that he is treated like. I think Brock will step away for a few months which will be perfect because it will setup Brock v. Braun Part 2 down the road, possibly at Wrestlemania.

10. Baron Scicluna

All Cesaro wants for Christmas is his two front teeth.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Cesaro literally ate a turnbuckle, and it cost him three or four of his front teeth. He's looking like a cannibal serial killer as this match has gone on and the blood has spread to his face.

12. JimmyHoward33

I hate that finish. Cena hits 800 AAs and feats of strength and then gets caught by one finisher? Roman needs a finisher that actually looks hard and is physically impressive bc that was weak.

Good on LA for crapping on that arm raise too

Draft saved Draft deleted