1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant chains that no longer exist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Steak and Ale, worked in several of them including the one in Richmond when it opened.

My first manager later left the Chili's chain with two others and formed the company that started Outback (and Bonefish and Carraba's and Fleming's). Made himself a whole ton of money.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Holy shit I bet you wish you'd somehow hitched a ride on that.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There is still, as of last June anyway, a Bonanza in Sanford, Maine. Believe the one in Laconia, N.H. is gone.

The Orlando Sizzler near the airport...something they didn't have in New England. We did lunch there on the honeymoon after we landed, and did lunch there before we flew home.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Got beat to the Gino's-Roy Rogers. But the best part of the RR was the 'Fixin's Bar'. All the stuff you wanted to put on there.

I also remember HoJo's. When I was a kid I loved their hot dogs, split and griddled, on a split top roll. The relish was amazing.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I didn't realize All American Burger was a real thing. I'd assumed it was just a fictional concoction for Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

So now I'm wondering if the chain that made Brad wear the ridiculous pirate costume was also real.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No place did a grilled cheese sandwich to perfection like HoJo's did.
    The melted cheese part is easy. The crunchy toasted crust is the hard part.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

My town has had chains aplenty, but it's surprising the number that didn't make it: Bearno's Pizza (Louisville based), Bellacino's Grinders, Blimpie Subs, CiCi's Pizza, Church's Chicken, Godfather's Pizza/O'Deli's, GrillIt Caribbean Chicken, Moe's Southwestern Grill, Noble Roman's Pizza, Petro's Chili & Chips, TCBY Yogurt, Tumbleweed (closed/burned down; replaced by Olive Garden on site), Uncle' Bud's Catfish/Aunt Vera's.

However, Starbuck's, Culver's, Bojangles, Impellizeri's Pizza (Louisville based) and BoomBozz Pizza (Louisville/Indy based) are all on the way.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wow, Sizzler. They used to have a $1.99 special, I think it was, of a hamburger, fries and a drink - not bad for a sit-down restaurant. Had to have a coupon and it might have been one a particular night a week. Allowed me to splurge during college.

On the demise of HoJo's:, from The Economist: https://www.economist.com/news/unit...od-chain-last-howard-johnsons-restaurant-sale

My hometown still has a Godfather's, I think, but man, there are a bunch of places on this thread that I used to frequent. Mmmmm....

Was Wuv's a thing outside of the Florida Panhandle? I think they had a slogan about their fries that was something like, "We don't peel our potatoes, we just give them a good scrubbin'."

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maryland had a couple of Beefsteak Charlie's. Not sure how wide a chain that was, or if it was just a couple of local joints.

I remember they had an all-you-can-eat seafood night that we hit as a large group, and then the bulk of the Hopkins football team was hitting it too. I remember thinking they'd go out of business, and sure enough they did. Some homicides near the parking garage probably had a big negative effect too.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Hardee's bought them out.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I remember frequenting a Beefsteak Charlie's in Lauderdale on my trips there, have no idea how the food was, the all you can drink beer, wine and sangria was a selling point to me

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Sizzler is opening restaurants in China. I have seen Shakey's in Japan ad the Philippines. And Okinawans love A@W. The drive-ins there are huge. There are Big Boy's in Japan but they do not sell hamburgers.

Does anyone remember Lawson's convenience stores in the Cleveland area? There are 10,000 in Japan.

Draft saved Draft deleted