1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoplifting teacher story: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Damn that's a lot of soap.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe if she'd shoplifted from a hair salon or specialty store. Not sure how much of that type of thing they sell in a regular supermarket. The most expensive stuff in the HBC section is probably a big pack of razor blades that runs around $30, and you'd still need a bunch of those to reach $370. At $4 to $7 an item for soap, shampoo and toothpaste you'd need to walk out with a shopping cart full.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they'd run the follow-up as one story on the matter (and not as the original story), I think it'd be a lot more reasonable. A seemingly well-off teacher shoplifting $370 of toiletries piques interest. The original felt half-baked and like it should have been held for another day or two until they got more information.
    Didn't care for the follow-up including the same personal information as the original story, though.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if she snatched some ass-scented candles too.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The original story is horrible in numerous ways and was a slapped together mess of intimate hearsay, social media and available database info.

Good thing copy editors are almost extinct or there might have been a house ad in the paper that day.

Batman likes this.
  6. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

There's no way this story should've been blown up this big. That said, it's interesting she would allegedly shoplift this much soap, etc. But yeah, I have to wonder if this is personal, or the editor and reporters are a little too jump the gun.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

At shop rite? It's a grocery store, not a salon.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I want a bunch of free bottles of soap and shampoo, I lift them from a hotel.

Wouldn't $150,000 be middle class in New Jersey?

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Depends on the area, in Hamilton probably better than middle class. In Robbinsville probably more middle class.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And from what I can see, they didn't amend it with the details the cops released. That original story was a hit piece. No police report cited. No attributable quotes. Wreaks of a personal vendetta. And yeah, this family might be OCDs like Nicholson in As Good as it Gets, where IIRC he tosses bars of soap after one use.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps the teacher cost the kids of the editor or a reporter a scholarship? (just because we're sportsjournalists.com).

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I swear I'm not trying to beat up on this guy, buuutttt ... from the author of one of the most questionable stories of the year comes a nominee for worst lede of the year!
    Pro tip: Sometimes, a straight, factual and boring news lede is the way to go.

Steinert baseball coach Brian Giallella arrested for beating up his girlfriend

Draft saved Draft deleted