1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 21, 2017.

?

Who is the American League MVP?

1. Aaron Judge

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. Mike Trout

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Corey Kluber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chris Sale

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Jose Ramirez

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  6. Jose Altuve

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  7. Other (Abreu, Simmons, Avisail Garcia, etc.)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

StJudge's post-Home Run Derby slump hurts him in my estimation. Yanks might've won the division if he'd hit just a little bit in those three-four weeks.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure somebody will be along any moment now to chastise you for considering team success in an MVP award discussion.

Judge is certainly a huge part of the Yankees' success this season. How bad were the Yankees when Judge slumped after the All-Star break? I honestly don't remember.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, because it's lazy and stupid when you are giving out an INDIVIDUAL award.

4. outofplace

Except that it isn't either of those things. How is it lazy to take more criteria into account? You do understand we're talking about considering it as a factor, not disqualifying players on non-contenders, right?

Your definition of stupid here is you don't agree with it. You'll pardon me if I don't share your opinion of your intellect.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Take the best player in the league and swap him with the MOST VALUABLE. Do you not think he would not be as valuable? You shouldn't punish a player for bad teammates and bad management. It's out of his control.

6. outofplace

Actually, the voters can do that and they have for decades. Bad teams can still lose without their stars. Playoff teams often cannot have the same success without theirs. Is it fair? Perhaps not. But the goal is to choose the most valuable player, not be the fairest voters in the land.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Brilliant logic.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. outofplace

Let me put it more simply just for you. Getting it right is more important than being fair. I'm not sure why that logic troubles you so much.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's not getting it right, it's rewarding a player for having better teammates.

Next you'll be telling me Mookie Betts is better then Mike Trout.

10. outofplace

Players are often more productive in sports because they have better teammates. Pitchers don't just benefit from run support. They benefit from strong defenses and bullpens. Hitters benefit from having better hitters around them. I don't just mean counting statistics. Don't you think it is easier to produce when pitchers have to worry about the guys before you and after you in the lineup?

Baseball is a team sport. Teammates around a given player are always going to be a factor. To pretend otherwise is just silly.

Team success is a part of MVP discussions in every team sport. I'm sorry you don't like it, but to call that stupid simply shows your own ignorance.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So by that brilliant reasoning the player on the shittier team numbers are even more impressive.

12. outofplace

Perhaps. Or they fared better because they got to do much of their work with the pressure off.

Either way, their production wasn't a part of team success in a team sport. There is absolutely nothing wrong with considering the contribution to team success as part of an MVP discussion. In fact, that is how it should be done and how it is done.

Draft saved Draft deleted