1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoplifting teacher story: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Sep 22, 2017.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

There's a follow.

Hamilton teacher stole $370 worth of soap, shampoo and toothpaste, cops say

Marisa Naro, 29, of the first block of Erica Lynne Way, was arrested for stealing $370 worth of soap, shampoo and toothpaste at the ShopRite on Route 33 in Hamilton on Sept. 10, police Capt. James Stevens told The Trentonian on Friday.

Whoever is supervising this reporter is a shithead. This stinks of something personal, which is not uncommon in local news.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And they repeat the libel in the second graf. Like they say, who needs copy editors?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good lord - that is a shit ton of soap, shampoo and toothpaste. What, about 10 bucks for quality products of all three? I don't know about shampoo since I don't have hair. You need a big ass bag to get that much out of the store.

4. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Hey, there was a pretty well-known actress who got arrested for shoplifting, so money is not always a factor. Maybe she has a problem or maybe she walked out of the place absent-mindedly, without paying. I did it at a thrift store once. I blame the editor more than the reporter for this report.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Since an elementary school teacher was placed on administrative leave, trying to explain why would serve a public interest. It deserves more than a line in the blotter. You can, and should, do that in a few straightforward sentences, though.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I would like a full breakdown of how those things cost that much. I would gawk at it far more than her household income.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Sorry. This is almost obligatory....

[​IMG]

Vombatus, Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
  8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Maybe it was top-shelf soap, shampoo, and toothpaste? That's all I can think of.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Still - how much would you need to get to that total?

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Winona Ryder.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Every kid I knew growing up who shoplifted had parents who made a better than average salary, so the "head-scratcher" line is, well, a head-scratcher. It's not outlandish or unthinkable that a person who has a household income of $150k gets their jollies from getting away with stealing small-ticket items.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

She stole it to give to disadvantaged kids who need it.

Just giving her defense attorney a head start.

Draft saved Draft deleted