1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant chains that no longer exist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Anybody else from the Philly to Baltimore area besides me remember Gino's. It was a burger and fried chicken chain whose front man was Colts' Hall of Fame defensive end Gino Marchetti. Burgers weren't bad, chicken was very greasy. Eventually crushed between the pincers of McD's and the Colonel, the latter of which might've bought the chain out. In the event, Gino and partner Alan Ameche got pretty rich.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Rays Kingburgers - Richard Petty chain.

(I spent a few of my early formative years in North Carolina. That's where I learned the word "fuck" too.)

3. Had more than 300 locations. Bought by Mariott which closed them down and converted them to Roy Rogers.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I remember that the Gino's closest to my house became a Roy Rogers. Thanks for the info.

5. RR are all closed, right? Last time I saw one was a rest stop somewhere.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah.

There was one in a small town near me years ago and a guy I knew was organizing a deal to honor a long-serving local politician who was about to retire. That's where he chose to do it and the politician, who was black, told him to have a good time but he wasn't coming. He didn't patronize a business called Sambo's.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are a bunch in Maryland.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Sepulveda and Jefferson in Culver City, across from the former Fox Hills Mall, now called Westfield's.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

SoCal staple Woody's Smorgasburger

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

How about the Ponderosa, Bonanza and Sizzler discount steak chains? All had a big presence in the Chicago area during my childhood. I've heard they still exist, but only in a few areas.

Another big chain in the Chicago area during the '70s -- not sure they were anyplace else -- was Chicken Unlimited, which was a lot like KFC except it also sold burgers and a few other non-chicken items. They were a White Sox TV sponsor, and I remember Harry Caray doing an in-game commercial for Chicken Unlimited at Comiskey Park and waving to the fans with a chicken leg in his hand.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Great thread. We had a Red Barn in my little hometown, and a small chain place called Jester's. Both now long-gone.

My family used to stop at a Bonanza in Selinsgrove, Pa.,on trips to Virginia along US 15. There was a Bonanza in Microville at one point, too, and a Sizzler. Both are long-gone.

Are there still Godfather's Pizza places?

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There's a sign for one on I-81 somewhere around Winchester, Va., but I can't remember which town. I used to eat it all the time in Hutchinson, Kan., probably haven't had it in 15 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted