1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NFL's ratings crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

5:30 local time start on a Thursday in Santa Clara/San Francisco.
    What could possibly go wrong here?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pure guess, but I think the networks not being in their prime-time season yet would be a big factor there. Next week is the start of the Will & Grace reboot (huge crossover viewership!) and the rest of NBC's lineup. Also Grey's Anatomy and How To Get Away With Murder.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, we could go to a single time zone like China has. :)

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't this burying the lede a little bit, though?

(Of course, NFL audiences may still have slipped last season, because we don't know how many people watched in bars, restaurants and the like during previous campaigns.)

I think that it's probable that people have gradually started to watch games in non-traditional ways and at non-traditional places. But especially when it comes to bars and health clubs, for example, the audience didn't just start going to those places last season.

There are more viewers than the Nielsen ratings capture, but it seems that viewership certainly slipped last year.

There is a lot of interesting information in there, but I don't feel like the story presents an apples to apples comparison. (It acknowledges that, as I quoted above, but in passing.)

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I'm an advertiser, I'm counting bars, restaurants and gyms as "they did not see or hear my ad."

sgreenwell and Michael_ Gee like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. Tweaking the ratings formula to reflect modern times is long overdue.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I have a crazy theory that just the way the fans cheer and the bands play between plays in the college game makes college games seem a bit more exciting on TV. The NFL has lulls between plays.

Draft saved Draft deleted