1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Funny thing is that half the crowd went just to see their dear leader live in the flesh. Then they went home still fully supportive of disgusting theocrat Roy Moore, known for ignoring a federal court order on multiple occasions.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I feel like we've been over this umpteen times.

The first amendment has nothing to with a private entity (an NFL team) choosing to fire an employee (a player) for taking a position of protest it disagrees with, or feels represents the organization poorly.

SpeedTchr and tapintoamerica like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does this merit a segment on the Sunday NFL shows? I mean, he IS the President, but he's also Donald Trump. I'm sure the NFL owners are grateful he blew on the dying embers.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Definitely merits discussion. I think seven owners gave him $1 million or more in the campaign. That's the AFC East and three-fourths of the AFC South in purely numerical terms. Will they do it? Probably not.
    All 32 owners should sign a joint statement opposing his criticism of the league for being safer. They are always in peril of being sued, and such a statement would at least look like they support a safer game. Silence looks like tacit approval of his Neanderthal mindset.
    This is not, however, a traditional First Amendment issue. Workplace, fire in crowded theater, etc.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with any of this. The NFL, as a private entity, can certainly do as it wants. But I don't think the President of the United States should condemn someone practicing their First Amendment rights and right to freedom of expression in the form of protest.

But let's not kid ourselves. He doesn't really care. It was an applause line for him.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the NFL would be wise to reach out to the White House and ask for a "clarification." Because right now the President put the league on notice that he isn't happy with the league and fans shouldn't be either. I figure more than a few players don't appreciate having their concerns dismissed and demeaned in order for the President to lather up his base. It puts everyone in a really bad position.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Trump voters were played for rubes by the ultimate fast-talking city slicker.
    ... You didn’t make America great again; you enrolled in Trump University."

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And if the NFL had a real commissioner instead of Roger Goodell ...

EDIT: And, thanks Moddy.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Did Obama, Bush or Clinton hold rallies like this when they were President?

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Nah. It's all an ego boost and a TV show now. He still can't let go of Hillary Clinton. He won. It's over. He's an aging rock band playing his hits for a small but dedicated group of fans.

Set list:

LOCK HER UP!
    THE (TRUMP) WALL
    ELECECTORAL COLLEGE RHAPSODY
    COMEY GO WITH ME
    EVERYBODY GET YOUR GUN
    STILL IN THE USSR
    KOCH IS IT!
    WE SHALL OVERCOMB
    BLOWIN' UP IN THE WIND
    MUELLER IT OVER
    THERE'S SOMTHING HAPPIN' THERE
    GET UP, SIT DOWN
    BACK IN THE USSR
    ORANGE IN THE SUN
    THE STAR SPANGLED BANNON
    WHEN YOU'RE (WITH) STRANGE
    AMERICAN IDIOTS
    PUTIN ON THE RITZ
    I FOUND MY THRILL (ON HILLARY HILL)
    COMB OVER BEETHEOVEN
    FROM RUSSIA (HOAX) WITH LOVE
    MR. TANGERINE MAN

I'm tired and thought way too much about this silliness. But I hope there are better additions.

Nighty night.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No, they were too busy being President

Deskgrunt50 and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Are we sure it's an earthquake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.