1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Restaurant chains that no longer exist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Sep 22, 2017.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

5 restaurant chains that don't exist anymore
    Interesting story. I loved Burger Chef when I was a kid. Kenny Rogers was pretty good. I thought he had better rotisserie turkey and chicken than Boston Market. Never remember eating at a Ho Jo's but had plenty of ice cream over the years.
    Did they miss any?

Liut likes this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The story references Chi-Chi's. Used to hang out at one in State College, Pa. Max McGee invested in several Chi-Chi's and made a lot of money. Don't know if he had divested by the time shit hit the fan.

I remember seeing Burger Chef's but not eating there. Yeah, Ho Jo's was the place for ice cream!

3. Never heard of White Tower.

And....

murphyc likes this.
  4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Kenny Rogers going strong in Asia, which always seemed weird to me.

Loved raiding Shoney's breakfast bar for the bacon.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We'd hit a HoJo's near my high school sometimes. Game was one guy had to order the fried clams, and we'd see what other fried foods and or objects were included in the order. Game ended when one guy found a deep fried rubber band. We figured he retired the trophy.

I Should Coco and Vombatus like this.
  6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I remember going to Showbiz Pizza a few times as a kid. Wikipedia says it merged with Chuck E. Cheese

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

OMG, a rinky-dink town I lived in 20 years ago got a Chi-Chis's in the mall. There was a three-hour wait to get in that first week. Guess it filled a need.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Showbiz Pizza was a treat for us. The local one would offer free tokens (I believe 5 per) for every A you had on your report card. So, every six weeks, our parents would treat us to Showbiz Pizza and made sure to bring our report cards. The pizza was marginal, at best, but damn you turn that corner and see the game room and your eyes would light up.

And yes, Chuck E. Cheese took over Showbiz Pizza. You might recall Chuck E. Cheese was in the original Showbiz Pizza animatronic band. So, basically he formed his own band and kicked Billy Bob out.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So was that the chain's homage to the Beatles's story?

StaggerLee likes this.
  10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Yes, and now Burger King owns all of the Showbiz Pizza/Chuck E. Cheese music library. Well, his estate does.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

CiCi's in Roswell was great for all those hangovers.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this before, but I can remember going to Showbiz Pizza in around 1981 and seeing people 10 deep in line to play Pac-Man.

Draft saved Draft deleted