1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips (especially golf) for Myrtle Beach?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Aug 19, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Haven't been to Mount Airy in 20-plus years, but I regret not holding onto the "Pink Floyd Deep Purple" T-shirt I got there.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Taught a class session there once ... at night ... in the dead of winter. Surry Community College was one of four to which my brilliance was being beamed, and the thought was that it would be good form for me to make an actual appearance at each location.

Later that spring it was nice to be able to put a face to the five students from Surry I caught cheating on their final exam.

dixiehack likes this.
  3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I ordered one online to wear there! A Barney Fife shirt too.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. TwoGloves

Sorry to hear that. I called our hotel yesterday (it's right on the ocean) and was told they didn't get hit hard and everything is fine. Looking forward to the trip. A lot. Although my wife is getting a bit nervous; two of her bakery employees quit, including one loser who gave us no notice. Just cleaned out her stuff after we were closed and left her key on the table. Didn't say anything until my wife texted her. Complained she didn't get enough hours. Keep in mind this is the same person who couldn't come in to decorate a cake because she had to -- wait for it -- go grocery shopping! The other woman is at least staying until we return.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

UPChip and Jake_Taylor like this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yeah, they weren't hit hard at all. Just some rain. I'd already canceled though, and it gave me a good excuse to miss out on seeing crazy family members.

7. TwoGloves

Isn't Dunes private?

8. TwoGloves

We leave in two days! Looks like Hurricane Maria is going to miss Myrtle Beach although our weather guy tells me it will kick up some big waves and winds. Any last-minute advice is much appreciated!

9. Crocodile Rocks is a ton of fun for you and the wife.

10. TwoGloves

That looks very cool. I love dueling piano bars. Thanks for the tip!

11. TwoGloves

Saw the attitude from one older guy who was putting bags on the cart. He talked to me like I had never played a decent golf course before. Really, pal? I was a golf writer for 25 years. I played great courses for free! Played The Pearl just over the North Carolina border. Was so-so but a friend worked there so all I had to pay was a cart fee. Played Arrowhead in Myrtle Beach. Much nicer but water on virtually every hole. Course was in good shape, too.

12. TwoGloves

Went last night. Cool place. The whole Broadway on the Beach area was cool. Reminded me of Downtown Disney

Draft saved Draft deleted