1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN tried to kick Jemele Hill off 6 p.m. SportsCenter bc of Trump tweets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Sep 22, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

EXCLUSIVE: ESPN tried to kick Jemele Hill off the air and replace her with another black host

ESPN originally tried to keep Hill off the air on Wednesday evening, but Smith refused to do the show without her, the sources said. Both sources also said that producers reached out to two other black ESPN hosts, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, to ask them to serve as fill-ins for the show — but Eaves and Duncan did not agree to take the place of Hill and Smith, either.

At 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, Eaves expressed his frustration with that day.

Man.. this day got me like..

Faced with the possibility of having to replace Hill and Smith with white co-hosts, the sources said, ESPN then called Hill and asked her to come back on her show.​

ESPN can teach master classes in how trying to please everyone ends up pleasing no one. They do it consistently. Just chickenshit moves on the regular by Rob King and that ilk.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I see you’ve been following this story closely.

LINDSAY GIBBS SEP 14, 2017, 5:24 PM

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No, let's do it again!

4. CD Boogie

Nope. I read the news once a week. Saves me from wasting my time chasing my own tail on Twitter like some humps I know. Also, I'm an idiot and I didn't see the dateline; I saw it posted first on Real Clear Sports and just figured it was fresh. I will now commit harakari.

Vombatus and Liut like this.
  5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That's a nuanced way to say tripping over their own dicks, right?

Vombatus likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Last week's news today!

Ace likes this.
  7. CD Boogie

listen, man, I can only commit seppuku once

Liut likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They were going to have Wright Thompson do it, but the hat was non-negotiable, so he walked.

BurnsWhenIPee and Liut like this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Doing it in blackface was OK, but sans fedora? No way.

Liut likes this.
  10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They should've had a couple nerdy white guys do the show, then halfway through have Jemele and Mike walk in and interrupt it like an 80s WWF interview.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Ice9 likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, but then who would do the a.m. drive show on the radio?

Michael_ Gee and Jake_Taylor like this.
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

They have more than a couple of nerdy white guys there. I actually was thinking of the one guy who used to do Sportscenter sometimes. Forgot his name, but he looks like Neil Patrick Harris and the kid from Heaven Help Us who masturbated all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted