1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Press Box Attire - College Football

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JM22720, Sep 19, 2017.

1. JM22720

JM22720 New Member

I'll be covering my first college football game next week (NCAA D1, FBS/ACC) and am wondering how I'm supposed to dress. I was thinking an untucked button-down shirt and khaki pants, but would this be too casual?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

In a sense it's like going in for a job interview. I would say tuck in your shirt and look as professional as possible — dress nice enough, groom yourself and don't smell. Stay quiet and observe others and you can see how other folks are doing it. You're not only representing the media outlet you're working for, but also any potential employers as this also serves as a networking event for you, and you'll most likely want to leave a good first impression.

That said, good luck and enjoy!

Liut likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're in Tuscaloosa, something like this:

[​IMG]

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Here's a story always tell about the start of my career: I covered the 1994 Canadian Open Golf Tournament. Was in sports radio at the time.

Went in a long-sleeved shirt, tie and pants. The hosts joked about it and made fun of me, on-air. "Golf shirt will do," the said.

When it was over, they came up to me and thanked me for giving them material. Then they said, "Appreciate you going the extra mile, but a golf shirt is seriously ok."

Go the extra mile for your first appearance.

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Golf shirt and khakis is fine. Especially in the South early in the season, you'll turn into a sweaty mess if you try to go coat and tie.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Have fun. Don't cheer. Don't get intimidated by the big-timers there.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some men can wear dress pants/khakis well.

For the men who can't, a pair of moderately expensive, nice dark jeans probably look better. Pair with a button down and a jacket and good shoes. The bigger/taller you are, the more that jacket helps.

If you're a smaller, thinner-waisted man, dress up if you can afford it.

Double Down likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not really on topic, but it is embarrassing what some sports people deem acceptable attire when they are representing a news outlet in public.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb is always to wear a collared shirt. If it's 90 degrees and you're covering high school baseball or early season high school football, nice shorts are fine. Just wear a golf/polo shirt.

College and pro, always wear pants - khakis, nice jeans (not baggy) or dress pants. You can stick with the polo shirt for warmer events, including much of the baseball season, but I prefer a button-down dress shirt for all others.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the weather and what level of team you are covering. If the team blows chunks and it's going to be 100 degrees out and most colleges now treat the media like crap, it's ok to wear a golf shirt and jeans. If you have to be on the field shooting as well as reporting, shorts are OK. Times are changing, folks. Colleges are treating the media like crap with all their rules and I think this has changed a bit in terms of how the media should respond. There is NO reason anymore to sweat up a storm in fancy clothes, especially if you are covering a day game of a non top 25 type game. I could be mistaken but I feel like the colleges have started a war with the media and no reason to dress up, especially when "most" head coaches in football are wearing casual shirts with the team logo. Again if it's 90 to 100 degrees and you are spending any time on the field in this day and age of video, shooting the game as well as covering, no way in hell you wear your sunday best; you wear casual casual casual. You aren't going to impress anybody into giving you better seats or access. The press is the enemy now. Dress like it. Nobody's judging your dress. I mean no T-shirts, but golf shirts?? Of course.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

You'll never go wrong with khakis and a button down at games, or most anywhere else.

And how a college treats me or the quality of the game I'm covering has no bearing on the respect I have for myself and my employer.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted