1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL reporter | Columbus Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ss90, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

No question and going to be tons of competition with three big boy jobs out there open. I know a guy who applied and is doing work with a website and they're not even giving him a sniff. Said guy has applied for jobs there before and had same issue. Guy has been doing hockey for a while. That said, Gatehouse/Dispatch I feel like cutting it way too close. Especially putting the OSU hoops guy on it to fill in with that beat getting ready to heat up.

2. ss90

ss90 Member

My guess is if they really can't find anyone who meets their standard, they'll reassign Adam (the OSU hoops writer) to the beat fulltime, reassign the OSU women's basketball writer to men's, and look for a new women's hoops/GA, which would be a considerably cheaper move than what they are doing now..

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

This would be a dream job for me, at least in terms of covering an NHL team, but certainly more experience is needed, even though I work for a GateHouse paper.

Best of luck to the person they hire.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the issue isn't so much the presence of Portzline as a competitor or the writer's market.

The issue is more likely to be Gatehouse.

Liut, wicked and bumpy mcgee like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time anyone said that.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Member

Maybe in the 1990s?

7. ss90

ss90 Member

Hah. Well, it's a writers market IF you are an experienced NHL reporter willing to potentially relocate across the country or to Canada.

8. cubman

cubman Member

Another loss on the Dispatch sports staff as Todd Jones has left for the Ohio State Alumni Magazine. So in the past few years ... Bob Baptist, Jim Massie and Bob Hunter have retired, Shawn Mitchell has left to travel the country, Portzline and Reed jumped ship to The Athletic and now this. That department used to be the picture of stability.

9. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Well it is someone from South Florida moving up to Ohio to cover the Blue Jackets:

Liut likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Very happy for George. An outstanding hockey reporter. Hope Gatehouse doesn't screw him.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Ditto. Great guy, great reporter, I think they want the Blue Jackets to be treated at the same level as the Buckeyes and he's going to do it for them.

Liut likes this.
  12. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

They did good times two. Worth the wait time.

Draft saved Draft deleted