1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I have a thick red beard straight out of the Scottish Highlands. There is no doubt my mother's ancestry. I say that to mention I found a white hair intermingled with the red. I thought it was a stray hair from my cats. I went to remove it but it was firmly attached to my face. I have pledged to myself that going grey will just be something I will own and not try to cover it up. Seeing that hair, however, affected me more than I want to admit.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Being old.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I started going grey in university. My beard is now pretty much totally white. I was recently thinking about hitting some Just For Men, but then a buddy got the worst chemical burns in history on his face from it. The wind hurt him for weeks. Better just to accept what the follicle gods give you.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Or what they take AWAY from you. Sigh.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

QYFW and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm 47, but my beard is now completely white.

I saw a picture of myself last week at a foundation board meeting, and I told two of my colleagues I look like a hipster Burl Ives.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's the truest thing I've read all month.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pallbearer duty. Aside from the obvious sad implications, it is torture on arthritic fingers and wrists (see above cartoon).

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Back pain. I've got two bad discs and they are not next to each other. L2-L3 and L4-L5. L3-L4 is ok. This requires two injection sites. Looking forward to my next treatment at a pain management clinic.

I fear back surgery may be in my future. Ugh.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I grew a beard this year for the first time. It came in mostly gray -- and I had someone tell me it made me look younger.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe being built like a jockey has helped me avoid the aches and pains. My old-age feelings are almost universally cultural and began the day someone decided "boys" should be spelled with a "z".

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't realize I complained so much about my back until my son started using "But, my back hurts!" as an excuse to get out of cleaning up his room.

Draft saved Draft deleted