1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pasties!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I like the little blue and yellow Obama logo.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Vombatus and SpeedTchr like this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This thread is long overdue! I know I've eaten pasties at Dobber's in Escanaba and Lehto's in St. Ignace. Probably at one of the Marquette places, too.

And my vote is no carrots. Meat, potatoes, onions and/or rutabaga.

As for the other kind of "pasties," the U.P. is lacking in that area. :)

4. spikechiquet

Haha! No shit! Big Bons in Mcfarland doesn't cut it! For my bachelor party, we were in the basement of the Shamrock (Because "No One Throws a Party like THE ROCK!" LOL) and my buddies pooled together money and found a chick willing to strip for us.
    They are still apologizing for that incident! haha

I grew up with carrots, but I don't run away from ones that doesn't have them. My wife dices them and I don't like them as much. Julienned carrots are much better.

A good pasty place is actually in Portland, Ore. A woman from Northern Wisconsin sells them at her craft beer bar/bottle shop called Saraveza. They served it with pickled veggies, which was odd, but good.

Vombatus and I Should Coco like this.
  5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

HERETIC!!1!

Vombatus and spikechiquet like this.
  6. Vombatus

Fucking awesome video, spike!

For those who don't know the story, spike (and his brave wife) was the first sj regular who agreed to have a Gathering with me, and lived to tell about it.

And oddly enough, we all met at a bar in the middle of Baltimore, near Hopkins and a local brewery, only a couple of weeks after the riots. Fun times.

One thing to notice in that video: spike has an AWESOME house made out of (I think) pine logs. Look at the ceiling in the background of his video. He calls it the Spikechiquet Lodge, and it's fucking AWESOME. Log cabin, man. He even has a flagpole out front and flies the US flag. America! PASTIES!!!

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

As someone who spent a lot of time in the UP/Iron Range areas (and spent a wasted year of college in Yooperland) - pasties suck. Inedible crap.

8. spikechiquet

I'll cut you honkey!

Fly likes this.
  9. spikechiquet

Good times indeed.
    We love this house. Completely fell into 2 years ago. Just wonderful luck. The story is a guy from Tennessee got a job here in Ohio and had his entire house rebuilt up here.
    Even the gas fireplace and garage door are manufactured in Tennessee! I found out when I went to have both repaired! LOL
    I rotate the flags. I have Old Glory, a Yooper flag, and a NMU flag.
    So 33% of the time I'm patriotic! Haha

Wait...if I 'lived to tell about' ... who didn't?! ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Vombatus likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Everyone has lived so far. Justin Rice is the other survivor and I've known him for years before I connected the SJ dots.

Draft saved Draft deleted