1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For those who've left: any regrets?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by partition49, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I finished probation today and am a full-fledged civil service employee, here to retirement. And I look forward to going to work pretty much every morning, even if it is the earliest I've had to get up in 40 years.

Mentioning it only as a reminder that there can be life after newspapers.

Bronco77, Doc Holliday, GBNF and 5 others like this.
  2. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

I miss the people and the camaraderie, but just wasn't fun to be there with the hours and the piling on. It was next to impossible for me to ever get any time off because my job's important... except when it isn't. That was probably the biggest issue, how the brass didn't treat me with respect (the same brass that bends over backward whenever they get a call or an email with a complaint and their first reaction is to throw the copy desk under the bus).

We've had a few rounds of layoffs over the years, but now it's the annual buyout game, where they'll buy out volunteers before enacting layoffs, but every year more than enough people take the buyout. Every year it's chop chop chop until there will be nothing left. I don't think they've ever turned down a buyout recently. They did decline a buyout during the beginning of the layoff era because they deemed that person's job too important, so he quit anyway and what did they do? Not replace him.

I guess it was nice to be able to wake up whenever you wanted to, so that's something.

Central-KY-Kid likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

As a night owl, sleeping in is the only thing I miss about second shift.

4. CAsportshack

CAsportshack Member

Absolutely NONE. As if my former shop didn't decimate itself enough already in the last two years, they just dropped the ax on a veteran features writer (12 years by my highly unofficial count), a courts/crime reporter, and even a young sports hack based out of the main office -- the paper serves two cities about 55 miles apart.
    With that move, there are NO sports reporters in the home office. That's right...ZERO.
    Don't get me started on the mistakes that showed up in the paper on a regular basis. I'd have to write a book.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I am currently trying to get out. I still love what I do, but not who I do it for or the pay. Payed less with even more responsibilities. I have two kids now and got into journalism just for cash while in school writing up box scores as a sports assistant. I have been full-time since 2011 but just don't want to do it anymore. The pay, hours and newsroom morale is sucking me dry and those in charge are simply clueless.

I know there is a board with jobs and good leads on life after newspapers, but what is the best way to get interest in my services? I am hoping to get into communications at hospitals or looking to get into university relations at a college. I have applied at a few jobs but have only gotten to semifinalists right now never been a finalist thus far. I think most see newspaper work and don't take me seriously for some reason despite 9 years in newspapers, 6 years full-time and a communications degree.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I also miss that. There are other aspects of the job I miss, but I'm glad I left and I would never go back.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I miss the golf life that I had while in newspapers and working for a league website, with all those second shifts. Weekday morning golf is uncrowded, cheap golf.

I love what I do now but have had to make peace with the fact that 15-20 rounds a year is as good as I'll get, with many of those on peak weekends.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Totally felt this way after getting tenure at my government gig. I intend this to be my last rodeo - no regrets.

Not without challenges like bad bosses, it's still been fabulous. Awards involving money, OT when I work OT and an unexpected promotion not quite four years in.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I miss the daily newspaper. I also miss going to Blockbuster on Friday night.

Doc Holliday and Ace like this.
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was in the business for 30 years. I don't miss what the job has become at all.

I have a 9-5 job at a big company doing communications and such, write cover stories for the local alternative weekly and do stand-up comedy.

I loved the newspaper people but my current co-workers are great and I've met a lot of really interesting people in comedy.

Doc Holliday and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

As a standup, do you like Louis CK? I was driving today for 45 minutes and heard a bit of his that actually truly had me laughing out loud. He was talking about taking his kids to Europe in his words "for some reason" and talking about how his daughter got bit by a horse. It truly was fricking hilarious and like I said I was laughing out loud in the car alone. If you haven't heard the bit (no pun intended) find it. Funny.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

One question to those who have had jobs outside newspapers for a while now: Do people in your new industries believe you when you tell them you worked 7 days a week 50 weeks a year and worked 60-70 hours a week yet got no overtime? Or do they think you are kidding. It's one, unique profession, journalism, that is for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted