1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football 2017 Week 2 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 5, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

FSU-La. Monroe and UCF-Memphis both cancelled.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Batman and Chef2 like this.
  4. dixiehack

If I were a college football player that didn't necessarily have a lot of cash for an evacuation, a free plane ride to Memphis might sound really fucking good about now.

5. LongTimeListener

Sure, if my whole family doesn't also live under the eye of the thing. I think it's well over half of Miami's roster that is from Florida. For the more local schools, it's probably almost the entire roster.

6. dixiehack

OK, let me put it another way. If I'm the parent of a player at the U and I don't necessarily have the funds to evacuate my family, a free plane ride to Memphis for my son might sound really fucking good about now, even if the rest of us couldn't come.

7. LongTimeListener

I wouldn't want to go if I was the player, though. I wouldn't leave my family behind.

Haven't you seen Lilo & Stitch? Ohana, man.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

In 1983, the Big East voted to admit Penn State. Big East commissioner Dave Gavitt, a basketball guy with a worldly mind, knew how important football was to the conference's long term success. Pitt joined in 1981 and it only seemed natural to add their hated -- but less hoops-inclined -- rival. But not everyone felt that way.

Needing a "yea" from six of the nine schools, the Lions fell short by one vote.

The influential basketball-only schools felt Penn State would erode their league. Football was off their radar and, therefore, not a priority. "You're not going to make your problem my problem," Georgetown's then-athletic director was quoted as saying years later.

That's how Big East football began in 1991 already doomed to fail.

That's why Georgetown is important to big time college football.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I don't think the Canes are afraid of playing Arkansas State. I do think their motives are rooted in the fact that nearly the entire roster is from South Fla. I'm wondering why FAU is still going to Wisconsin. Isn't their roster of similar composition to Miami's?
    Oh, yeah. FAU needs the money. If I were on that team, I'd be pretty hacked off about having to go to Wisconsin. Badgers favored by 33. In light of the Owls' understandable distractions, I'd hop all over that if I were a gambling man.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

Not since 2003.

Draft saved Draft deleted