1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out which team is yours in my fantasy league ...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We've been in leagues together in the past.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You have a better memory than I.

4. Don't know Rhys Hoskins can keep this streak going, but something like .280/30/100 next season would be great.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Many have reported SA is getting dumped almost as bad as Houston, so I doubt that's much of an option.

My bet is they'll play a bunch of day/ night dates at ARLINGTON.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spent the weekend (intermittently) being tortured by the worst baseball color guy I have heard in a long life -- Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is one of a group of recent ex-Sox players (Johnny Gomes was another) auditioning to be the color man since Jerry Remy is sick again and Dennis Eckersley is too mean for the players' taste. Not just a pathetic shill for the players, which was kind of tough when the Sox made five errors Friday night, but he speaks somewhere between a mumble and a monotone. Horrendous. But he was a such a relentlessly positive toady for the clubhouse in a series the Sox got swept by a combined 25-6, he'll probably get the gig.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK @Starman, you're off the hook. Scroll on the Rangers-A's broadcast says the series might be moved to "Dallas." And this is the Rangers' home network!

dixiehack likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd figure that first Houston series is off the boards already. No way in flaming hell the authorities want five-digit crowds gathering in Houston for any non-emergency reason within a couple weeks -- and probably considerably longer -- but we'll see.

However MLB has very little, almost no, schedule flexibility. With the scheduling of the playoff rounds, they gotta get the games played.

The Texans have a lot more options -- all the college stadiums.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Looked at Rangers' and Astros' schedules. There is some good fortune there. Play this week's games between the two teams in Arlington. Not ideal because Rangers are still in the chaotic AL WC race, but still pretty easy. From Sept. 15-24, Rangers are out of town while Astros are scheduled to be home. Move all of those games to Arlington. Only remaining issue is a three-game set between Mets and Astros Sept. 1-3.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mauer hit a triple today.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Stadium availability isn't the only concern in a city that's dealing with the kind of crisis Houston is facing. Putting on a game requires a lot of security, emergency medical teams and other personnel whose time is better served helping out with all of the things that must be dealt with in a situation like this. That doesn't even address roadways and all of the other aspects of life that have been turned upside down. Unless the forecast radically changes in a way that I can't envision, there won't be a major sporting event, college or pro, in Houston anytime soon. Especially an Astros game. Get them through the upcoming mini-homestand and hope for a return Sept. 15.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Who is old enough to remember the "rain-in" at the Astrodome, a scheduled Pirates-Astros game?

Draft saved Draft deleted