1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running NBA offseason/come join us Lebron! thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 15, 2017.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The pick is not going to make LeBron more likely to stay; remember 3 years ago he did not have the patience to wait for the No. 1 pick Wiggins to develop; he's not waiting for a 17 yr old now.

Irving is more effective late than Thomas.

Irving is more valuable than Butler or George because he's younger, he's proven to be a big time performer, and he's got 2 yrs on his contract and wants to stay in Boston, so yeah he brings more. PG is a one year rental who has already said he wants to go home.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Shocking this would happen to a Boston athlete/coach on the way out the door

Webster and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Executives throwing players under the bus, sourcing it to his teammates....classic Boston move. Isn't that a sign that public response to the trade isn't good?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They'll love Irving, I'm sure. He's such a good teammate.

dixiehack likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, when Kyrie gets in one of those pouty moods and doesn't talk to anyone for a week, I'm sure the Boston media will just give him a pass and some space...

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This is bullshit cheap reporting. If these executives wont go on the record it shouldn't be reported. Granting anonymity in this situation is uncalled for. If the executives aren't identified then their information is likely to be concocted by them or exaggerated or out of context by the reporter

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are many problems with this story, but one that jumps out to me is that half the team Thomas supposedly alienated is out the door same as he is.
    Reaction in Boston is ecstatic. Celtics fans are optimistic to the point of delusion by nature. If Ainge hadn't done a damn thing this summer except make that draft pick, fans would've still thought they'd beat the Cavs in the playoffs next season.
    I'd rather have Irving than Thomas, I guess, but to get Cleveland's second best player, Boston had to trade its best player, another starter, and what will likely be a top three lottery pick. The Cavs got the last possible ounce of value out of their end of the trade.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Using rankings like "best player" and "second best player" is kind of diminishing and elevating value arbitrarily on your part, though. He's Cleveland's second best player because their best is the best player in basketball, and probably Top 3 all-time. His game is really damn good in the playoffs, too, which I kind of worried about with Thomas. Thomas was Boston's best player, but he's a huge defensive liability because he's 5'9" and has a hip injury that the recovery record is spotty on. Crowder is valuable, but ultimately expendable, and the Celtics already have so many draft picks. (Granted, the Brooklyn pick is super valuable, and could be Top 3.)

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

4 of Bostons top 6 minutes guys from last year and more than half the overall roster are gone. Whatever players thought IT was selfish and headstrong are likely gone too.

And it's an aggregate article of a Bayless clip.

Grain of salt.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I should clarify my remarks. I did not mean the trade was a bad one for Boston, but the hardest thing to do in any sport is get equal value back in a trade od a disaffected star. The Cavs came as close to doing so as possible. They drove a hard bargain, unlike the Pacers or Bulls.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

YF is outraged.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What the fuck is Kobe Bryant doing on Twitter today? What the fuck is #MambaMentality, aside from taking off-balance jumpshots and pushing the limits of consent with hotel concierges?

The #MambaMentality is almost certainly the reason that Kobe has no friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted