1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bourbon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Nov 15, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

GQ just had this: http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree?mbid=social_twitter_gqmagazine

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

What did you buy, 8 quarts at once?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The most amazing holiday party I ever attended was at my wife's media company, there were "Maker's Mark Girls" serving up cocktails in MM logo tumblers dipped in the famous red wax. The tumblers were ours to keep.

Alas, this was a media company ... those parties didn't last.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can buy those from the gift shop. Another perk of buying a bottle at the gift shop: you can actually dip it yourself in the red wax.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Maker's is the gateway bourbon. If you REALLY like bourbon, you'll graduate to something else, but it's a helluva lot of fun to start with. Figure out how you like it ... rocks, splash of water, neat. I'm a one ice cube guy myself.

If you've felt like you've already got the hang of it, here's some affordable recommendations. But always keep a bottle of Maker's on hand for emergencies.

1. Four Roses (around $20). Smooth, also a good starter bourbon. Their step up isn't bad, either.
    2. Jefferson's small batch (around $30).
    3. Angel's Envy (around $50). The best new bourbon on the market. Created by Lincoln Henderson, who developed Woodford and Gentleman Jack. You can't get it everywhere; check and see if it's available in your state. http://www.angelsenvy.com/?/press
    4. Booker's (around $50).

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Maker's was definitely my starter. Then Knob Creek. Then I figured out what I really like. I'll still never turn down a Maker's if offered.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On, my God, I bet that smells amazing.

A couple years ago I accidentally left an unopened bottle of Woodford in my car and eventually the cork came out, something to do with the heat, and the bourbon spilled all over in the car.

It was glorious.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Looks like VB found a new website

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Vombatus

I was looking up images of ass-scented candles last night.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who doesn't do this on occasion?

12. Vombatus

This goes back to one of my Top Ten Favorite sj.com Moments: Moddy saying he takes cucumber-scented candles on travel because of hotel rooms that smell like ass, which was quickly retorted by Buck saying that's funny, because he brings ass-scented candles because he was sick of rooms that smell like cucumber.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted