1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fallout from Stuebenville rape case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

That's the point made in "Our Guys," the book about the Glen Ridge case, that it isn't a Glen Ridge or "privileged" community problem but can be any community that lionizes its youth sports teams. It happens to be football most frequently, but at my Minneapolis neighborhood high school it was hockey. What happened in NJ is very much the same thing that happened in Ohio.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Exactly, the town I grew up in was very much more Ohio than Glen Ridge; the town I'm in now, more Glen Ridge. But I see the very same things being broadcast in the community and it bothers me. That's why I support our arts programs in our schools so strongly; they help balance out the athletic worship and give the non-athletes a platform for appreciation and recognition.

Maybe my coaches in my youth were not Coach Reno, but the signals from the boosters and the teachers were very strong; only injury would prevent the QB from playing, not grades, not disciplinary issues, not legal issues.

3. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

A petition on change.org has been put up to see that the Steubenville coach gets fired.
    http://www.cleveland.com/steubenville-rape-case/index.ssf/2013/03/reno_saccoccia_longtime_steube.html#incart_m-rpt-2
    There is already one on change.org to ask that he be allowed to keep his job, too. Somehow, I am not sure such petitions matter in this case. I am convinced adminstrators/local officials will do what they want (and most likely, whatever that turns out to be, it won't be a correct decision -- just my concern considering the circumstances).

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The SI story on Glen Ridge: a very good read and truly unbelievable depravity and evil:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1010288/1/index.htm

5. tmr

tmr Member

It's a small town team that draws from a dwindling population that's had a lot of success. I had friends who started on the offensive line that were like 5-9, but they were tough kids. I actually thought the program was going downhill when I graduated, but it actually improved in the last 15 or so years. They've sent a few more kids to major programs in recent years, Cincinnati's starting QB for a few years, a corner on Ohio State right now.

But I agree people were acting like this was Texas HS football, where the team runs the town. Not true.

6. Bump ... Father of convicted rapist Ma'lik Richardson took a shot at a local judge.
    This was a week after activists successful pressured Youngstown State to reconsider Richardson's place on the team. He's staying on the team, but is not permitted to play.

The shooting appears to have been unrelated to the rape case.
    The judge was presiding over the shooter's civil case.
    Shooter was killed on-scene. Judge was taken to hospital for surgery and should be OK.

Steubenville Shooting Suspect Had Civil Lawsuit Pending Before Judge Bruzzese | News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

????

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

poindexter likes this.
  9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's bullshit, by the way. It's not like this kid is still being accused of anything and the coach is letting him play until the judicial system unwinds. This kid paid his debt and he should be allowed to play.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Probably hired a fine lawyer.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From what I've read, Richmond was already enrolled at YSU with no intention of playing football when Pelini found out and asked him to walk on. If the school determined that it was safe enough to have him as a student, I'm not sure if they have sufficient standing to bar him from an extracurricular activity for which he is otherwise qualified, even the most prominent one on campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted