1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Eclipse of 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 22, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Granted, I live in the zone so I didn't have to go anywhere - but really if you have a chance to take one of these in at some point - you should make an effort. Maybe not go someplace JUST for the eclipse, but travel 100 miles or so to get in the totality zone? Plan ahead and go visit a someplace in the region you've always wanted to go to? Absolutely. It was like Christmas, the Fourth of July, a rocket launch, and Old Faithful spouting all at the same time. Perhaps the best part is experiencing it with friends and family in for a visit and meeting people from all over the place to share in it. Truly special. Words and photos really don't do it justice.

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

We're in 99.3% totality, probably about 30 minutes from the southern tip of 100% coverage in Oregon. I figured the last .7% wouldn't be a big deal. It was pretty cool. I watched the start from inside the office, then walked outside and found the view from the parking lot was better. So I got the camping chair out of my trunk and hung out next to the car for 20 minutes. Pretty neat how things cooled down, it got dark and lights turned on like it was evening. Co-worker and I thought it was cool.
    Then we went inside. Our secretary had glasses from a regional coffee chain, which announced late Monday night they weren't sure their glasses would work. So she ended up watching the New York Times live feed on YouTube, I believe from Madras, Oregon. She showed us the 100% totality and it was indeed a huge difference. The diamonds looked awesome. The 100% was definitely much better, but then again I didn't have any crowds to battle. When I drove home, I saw southbound I-5 was a parking lot (this was at 5 p.m., about 6+ hours after totality ended).

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that's what it will be like when we know the nukes are coming and the world is ending - we just all get together and hug and maybe have sex.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Here in Indianapolis, the eclipse didn't blow my mind. Intermittent clouds, not in the totality band, frankly I thought it would be darker. But looking forward to 2024 when we'll be virtually in it -- and in reading everyone's comments, I'll make sure to drive to the 100 percent range, which should be 30 miles away.

Could probably get a good price on eclipse glasses today too.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2024 looks like it passes over, or near to, more metro areas than this one did.

[​IMG]

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd like to know how they calculated the 2017 and 2014 eclipses back in 1932.
    Slide rule?

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Lucky folks in that Southern Illinois/Eastern Missouri/Western Kentucky region are in it for both eclipses.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hermes and poindexter like this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Best shot I saw of the eclipse yesterday.

Batman and Donny in his element like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted