1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV services. Help me.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 21, 2017.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

You can get around that with the screen mirroring mode. DirecTV* isn't compatible, either, but the screen mirroring mode makes it work just as well as any other app.

* - I don't know about DirecTV now; this is about the phone app.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I just use the boy's Nintendo WiiU to watch Amazon. Or more correctly I can use it but seldom do because it would take an extra 30 seconds to hook everything up. #firstworldproblems

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've noticed lately that there are a lot of people streaming pirated TV shows and sports events on YouTube. The ones that pop up on my home page the most are feeds of Family Guy, South Park and Caribbean cricket. I guess some people are taking it upon themselves to be the TV provider for the cord cutters.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I did a trial of Vue a year ago when I was looking to cut the cord. It had a good variety of channels and a good price, but the video wasn't smooth enough. Every few seconds there would be a slight catch. Could be my setup, but my WiFi bandwidth was far stronger than the level required. That was a deal breaker for me.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I just moved off of Vue after a year, but I was generally pleased. Certain feeds -- e.g., my regional Fox Sports affiliate -- weren't quite at HD, and my local ABC affiliate is one of the few not available via Vue. There were workarounds to these issues -- the Fox Sports Go app, an OTA antenna -- that were palatable. My biggest issue, though, was that the timeshift feature (record, pause) aren't as good as "cable."

My local provider now has apps (Roku, iOS, etc.) that eliminate the need for extra boxes, and its standard package costs the same as Vue. So back to cable I've gone. If next year my "intro" price goes up, I can credibly threaten to switch and maybe avoid the upcharge.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's funny how a bunch of us who bitch about no one buying our content are more than willing to not pay for content. It doesn't keep me up at night or anything, and cable providers are the bottom feeders of corporate America, but it is amusing.

Kato and SpeedTchr like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I ditched my DirectTV for AppleTV. Pay for Netflix and "borrow" my parents' HBO login and sister's Comcast login, which helps with WatchESPN and a few others. But don't have a way to watch football on CBS, short of paying for another service.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Log in through Xfinity's site, and IIRC the Comcast login will let you watch CBS.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I buy AAA, I get access to my ex's Amazon Prime. Someone buys Hulu, their friend buys HBO. A mom has Netflix, so the kids have access. It's pretty common in my circles.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We cut the cord a while back. Bought an HD antenna for local channels. We tend to keep Netflix and HBO Go, but when things get stale we drop one and run something else for a while. Amazon usually gives you a thirty day free trial, so you can see how you like it, or if you're feeling mercenary then watch thirty days for free and drop it. If you have Amazon Prime it is included, which is a good deal. We use Roku and like it a lot.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Time is money. You guys spend way too much time looking for ways around this shit :D

Mpre power to ya, though. Rock on!

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What about on an AppleTV? What app do I use? I'm admittedly not terribly bright with this stuff; I surprised myself by just hooking up the device to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted