1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The funny part is that I don't think the Afghanistan strategy would be a lot different if Hillary had been elected. It's a bagful of bad choices. Keep trying to stand up an Afghan government and press the Pakistanis to quit allowing their border to be a safe haven and to stop covertly assisting the Taliban.

The biggest problem is that you have the citified Afghans in Kabul against the Pashtuns up in the mountains, and that's another war that's been going on for hundreds of years and won't end soon no matter what we do.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're not magic words. Using them won't solve the problem.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Afghanistan is not country where wars are won. We can base soldiers there, have a more effective presence there - but this strikes me as an unfocused strategy without clear goals. It isn't like intelligence has ID'd targets in the region and we've just taken a pass because we don't have the troop there. At best, the confidence in the possible targets hasn't justified the risk or reward of sending in troops.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Wait, so now those outlets are credible? I can't keep up. It's almost as if you only want news that supports your views.

Trump read a speech off a TelePrompter that someone else wrote. He's likely already forgotten about it and will say and do many contradictory things in the next few days.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Enough is enough! If we're still in Afghanistan in 2028, Russia will boycott the L.A. Olympics.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Obama did that shit for eight years. Who cares?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And we had eight years of Republicans taking shots at him for it.

melock likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never been one of those people who think if the US just stops fighting we'll have "peace." But I also have a hard time comprehending that a war we've already been fighting for 17 years can suddenly be "won" (whatever that means) with renewed political will. The consensus behind the Trump plan seems to be political will was why our efforts have flagged. There will be no "armistice" to mark the end of this conflict, so I'm guessing we win when the White House tells us we won.
    I guess I just have a hard time thinking that Kelly, Mattis and McMaster - three people who have led troops on the ground in battle, studied, drafted and carried out war plans and know what works and what doesn't - now suddenly have the game plan to make victory a reality? That the whole counterinsurgency stuff was bunk?

Anyway - this the best read I've seen on the situation.
    How the Brass Talked Another President into a Losing Strategy

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is starting to feel like how the no transgendered military members policy came to be. He's just announced what he wants done, the rest is just details for someone else to figure out.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He just wants more winning, but he's tired of thinking about how to do it. So he just ordered everybody to win more.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

(What we used to call a "strawman.")

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

With the surge, start expecting the stories where U.S. soldiers are being killed off in twosies, twosies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.