1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com old school: BYH & Bubs riff on MTV Classic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes.

Well done, gents.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Forevertown

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

Also, dead-on about JCM. "Scarecrow" rocked and stayed on point ... until the final cut, R.O.C.K. in the USA. After that, it was "Cherry Bomb" and nostalgia city.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Good stuff guys.

I also remember the MTV Pink Houses giveaway being both odd and lame. And Phil Collins had 12 straight top 10 hits from 1984 to 1990, 11 of which were top 5. A hit-making machine, I tell you.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Are we counting duets, too? I've got 13, which means I'm missing one if we're not counting duets.

Against All Odds
    Easy Lover
    One More Night
    Sussidio
    Don't Lose My Number
    Take Me Home
    Separate Lives
    A Groovy Kind of Love
    Two Hearts
    Another Day In Paradise
    I Wish It Would Rain Down
    Do You Remember?
    Something Happened On The Way To Heaven

I might be forgetting a hit from "No Jacket Required." Plus he had at least three hits with Genesis ("Invisible Touch," "In Too Deep" & "Land of Confusion"). Dude owned the charts.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Considering how glued my XM stays to the Big 40 countdown every weekend on 80s on 8 I really should be exploring MTV Classic more.

Thank you both for this.

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

You're right, it's 13 straight top 10 hits, plus the Genesis stuff. My first solo-Phil memory, of course, is his bland take on "You Can't Hurry Love," a cover that didn't quite indicate he was going to rule the chart in a couple years.

Draft saved Draft deleted