1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: LA Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Aug 21, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Might be a whole bunch of Tribune-, er, tronc-wide things shaking.

Hockey writer in Fort Lauderdale was laid off today.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to say, usually you try and get the people heading out the door to do the laying off - and that has to be the least BS corporate-talk story about a changing of the guard at a newspaper I've ever read.
    It's never fun writing a story about a new top editor coming in because you KNOW it might be the only story he or she reads of yours ever.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The outdoors writer (a 27-year veteran of the paper) was shown the door last month, as was the assistant sports editor in charge of high schools (about four weeks before the first HS football games). Publisher says the paper's workforce will be cut 50 percent over the next three years if revenue trends continue.

5. BTExpress

A paper that once had more than 50 people in its sports department alone.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My God, you're not kidding. Those late 1990s and early-mid 2000s Sun-Sentinel papers were mind-boggling. The sports section was fantastic.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Levinsohn will hold an all-hands meeting at 3 p.m. with Kirk to discuss the future of the newsroom, he said in a memo to staffers Monday.

What I wouldn't have given to have sat in that meeting with all the L.A. Times staffers.

8. BTExpress

There was a Sunday sports section in October 1997 that was 180 columns, spanning three sections (World Series, College Football and regular Sports). The equivalent of 30 open pages. And I didn't have a thing to do with it (was working on the Heat preview section). :)

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The tronc digital transformation touted so highly in that cheesy, unintentionally funny video must be hitting a few speed bumps.

I see that one of the "co-stars" of that video recently left tronc. And the other, based "business of journalism" stories and my acquaintances with tronc newspapers, no longer wields much influence. She's still collecting her hefty paycheck, at least for now.

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll need to dig out my 2003 Herald the Sunday after the Marlins won the World Series. It's a blur all these years later (other than the headline) and I bet we were damn close to that. That was a great rivalry to be a part of.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Was a lot of fun to be in Miami for the 2003 opener on a spring trip... S-S and the Herald were fairly big papers every day (except Monday, but no big whoop) and Palm Beach was pretty good too. Those were the days.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted