1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He probably thinks that's the senator's personal yacht.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I grow weary of this contretemps but draw strength from, perhaps, one of today's wisest rightward commentators:

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What term makes you happy to explain what YF is doing? I don't care what you call it--equivalent, similar, on the same level as or hell you can make something up for all I care--YF putting Angela Davis' talk as a way to counter the complaint that statues of Confederates are a call back to slavery and racism is the problem. But please continue to quibble over semantics.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The thing that has most changed about the Congress since I was a young man is the death of compromise. There was a time when they figured out a way to get things done - it might take armtwisting and logrolling, pork barrel politics, but somehow the party leadership would hammer out a deal which left both sides feeling vaguely screwed. That's how you knew it was a good deal, both sides got some of what they wanted and didn't get some as well.

Our system needs compromise to work properly, but suggesting bipartisan cooperation today will get you primaried.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard to compromise when the other side is demonized, when every existing bill passed by the previous administration is a "disaster" that MUST be excised.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of my best friends was the comm director for a Republican House member. One of his college buddies was a staffer for House Democrat. They ate lunch a few times and my buddy's boss got a call from leadership asking what was going on.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Democrats voted for Obama knowing he didn't care about the issue, so they aren't going to toss somebody for failing to fall in line on that issue.

Can you provide any examples of such Democrats? Or are you just talking out of your ass again?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This was posted right after two posters seemingly on the liberal side of things discussed the issue. So much bullshit, YF.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't even know if leadership in the House or Senate will allow various "Gangs of X" (typically moderates on either side) to hammer out compromise on various issues whether it was filibustering nominations, tax deals, immigration or whatnot.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jeez, oop, this is starting to make me feel sad. You're like the heartbroken ex-boyfriend who can't accept that he's been dumped.

How many unanswered calls is it gonna take for you to realize your thing with YF is over? You're arguing with thin air, he no longer even sees you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    SnarkShark, QYFW, JC and 2 others like this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Every new president is tested by the opposition, and by our enemies abroad.
    Trump has failed. Quite miserably. And allowed it to rage out of control. It shows he isn't competent.
    He continues to attack members of his own party, including members of his own administration, weekly.
    Doing this de facto renders him to be incompetent.

This is a person who has never had to report to anyone.
    He set up shop in a field where asset values have grown dramatically, so he's made a lot of money. Big deal.
    He marries and divorces models - and between that, the money, and the ostentatious display of ego and bluster, he manages to attract the attention of media who have mostly kissed his ass over the years.
    None of it gave him any sort of skill set for the job he currently holds.

I care only about policy, legislation and direction.
    Fuck partisanship, it's what got us into this mess.
    If we've gotten what we can from Donald, he should feel free to go.
    He should be prevailed upon by whomever he happens to trust that it's time to hit the road, the game is up.
    He's clearly not enjoying this adventure and he's wasting everyone's time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.