1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | The Berkshire Record (Great Barrington, Mass.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Aug 19, 2017.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Award-winning weekly broadsheet in western Massachusetts (the Berkshires) is seeking an energetic sports reporter to cover high school and local sports. The position includes, in addition to covering sports, writing a weekly column and taking photos.

Successful candidate must be organized, self-motivated, able to work quickly and accurately and lay out the section. Two to three years prior experience as covering sports preferred, but will consider recent college graduates. Candidates know AP style and be very proficient in InDesign.

Candidates must have a good camera and a car and be able to come to Great Barrington for an interview.

The Berkshires, 2 1/2 hours from New York and Boston, is in an area filled with skiing, lakes and hiking trails (the Appalachian Trail runs through it) as well as music and arts. Available now.

E-mail resume and samples of your work if you fit all or most of the job description to berkshirerecord@yahoo.com

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Boot straps!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was about to ask ...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Been a while for them to have an opening. Maybe they were providing the boots finally.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Record is an actual newspaper. The other guy hasn't been out begging for help for a long time. His stream of cash from the Ponzi scheme must've dried up.

6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

God I miss the shit out of those job posts. If there wasn't a fluffy aristocratic way to say something otherwise benign he would just start making words up like "stipendium". I always imagined him being drunk as hell

Get your bootstraps on...

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

8. Mister413

Mister413 New Member

My advice: if you're young, stay away.

The Berkshires are awesome if you're A. rich or B. A rich family's teenager. My guess is that anyone who takes this job will be neither. Other than that, expect to work a second job, despite there being very few opportunities to do so unless it's a gas station or a restaurant. The skiing sucks, and it's just far enough away to make a weekend trip to Boston or NYC a pain in the ass.

On the bright side...some cool hiking spots. Which you probably should get used to, because it's free, and you won't be able to afford any other entertainment.

Draft saved Draft deleted