1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports designer, Toledo (Ohio) Blade

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 17, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Award-winning Midwest newspaper is seeking an experienced sports page designer and copy editor for our 7-day-a-week print operation and new Web project that is under development. We are looking for candidates with solid headline writing capabilities, as well as significant page design and pagination experience. The successful candidate will be responsible for the front page design of the print sports pages at least three nights a week, and will be involved with the design, editing and layout of special sections, including high school and college football tabs. The more visual, the better. Night and weekend shifts are part of this position. A college degree and a minimum of 2 years of experience on a sports copy desk are required. A high comfort level with InDesign, Quark, Photo Shop and Web site presentation is needed. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer competitive wages and benefits.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking strong sports page designer/copy editor

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Isn't this the paper where the publisher is, uh, very hands-on with the on-deadline process?

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

He can be. Mostly news side though.

4. kbb

kbb Member

Has this job been filled?

5. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Not yet. Actually have been interviewing candidates for better part of two weeks. Want more info, PM me.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Bumping this to the top. Was told that position has been filled pending background/drug screen. If the person who is hired trolls this board, I'll let them out themselves.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And it wasn't me. I did apply and go through the interview process. First-rate operation, but that Waldo's a character. ;)

Like the old Pretenders song says, "Maybe tomorrow.... maybe someday..."

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bumping this back to the top for one reason:

I told everyone Waldo was a character, but he must have had some good words to say about me. Turns out I've been hired by the Blade to work the copy desk. It's a different job than the one advertised here, but they must have liked me. :)

So dammit, I AM good enough to work for the Toledo Blade!!

HanSenSE, Hermes, HackyMcHack and 2 others like this.
  9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

So I guess the words, YOURE HIRED, are appropriate in this case?

HanSenSE and steveu like this.
  10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I was going to type "any news on this position?" but I thought better.

11. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Bump back to the top. We’ve been given clearance to hire for another spot. Same description just filling another hole. If interested, please give me a shout. I can tell you most of these duties are the same but there are some tweaks. You can DM me here or on Twitter at the same handle name. We are looking to fill this position ASAP with high school football season here in 44 days and college football in 52.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Ummm, there's no job ad. Your link's broken.
    How do you apply?

Draft saved Draft deleted