1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dental work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 16, 2017.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In my Peace Corps town in Morocco -- as in a bunch of others smaller towns -- the signs for the dentist pictured a pair of pliers. I guess it was just cheaper than anything else.

At one camp I did, this kid came in wearing full-on orthodontics. The face thing and all. One of my fellow PC colleagues was lamenting the kid, saying gee, what would all the other kids think? I said, "They'll think he's rich."

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One of my best friends ran a Firestone. He quit because they gave him target goals for shop work that he had to hit, which meant telling customers they needed work that they didn't need. He would tell them about what he felt were potential problems, but not currently dangerous and it will be looked at again next time. But that wasn't enough for the supervisors, who leaned on him to get the work done now.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

caveat emptor, I guess. but still, fuck them. I'm going to go on Yelp and put them on blast. Trying to fleece me out of $3k? For a $60 piece? I wouldn't give a bucket of piss for the karma of those guys. Mind you, this happened in April, and you confirming what I suspected about goals just pisses me off anew.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How was that guy able to stand let alone attempt to work on someone?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The guy never recovered from that argument with OOP at his previous practice.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It should have surprised me, but learning that dental insurance works differently than medical insurance was a shock.

Instead of an annual deductible. there's a certain amount that they will play each year and once I reach it, it's all on me until it rolls over in January. I'm paying much more out of pocket than I thought. I realize it's just a fraction of the cost of the whole procedure, but it's a big fraction.

I maxed out for the year, all on one tooth.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I went back to my regular dentist on Monday for a second opinion. I brought the list of all the work the other place said I needed. Out of all of it, I only needed one cavity filled and we'll do that in January after my insurance rolls over.
    You expect the sort of upsale tactics that other dentist did at a quick lube place or something like that, not from professionals. I just have a higher expectation business ethics-wise from someone who answers to "Dr."
    My dentist told me that it costs so much to open a practice that places like that have to do it now. To me, if you have to use that business model in a dental or medical profession, you're in the wrong business.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Lisa needs braces!"

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Do we want dental insurance, or this kegger?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The drunk dentist......that's beautiful stuff right there.
    "Say doc........my tooth is fine now, but my balls hurt like hell for some reason and they have this minty smell to them."

Draft saved Draft deleted