1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing high school and NFL coaches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Who is easier to get an interview with -- the football coach of a or the high school you cover or the market's NFL team? I vote for the NFL coach because all you need to do is email or call a member of the team's PR staff and ask when the coach will be available following practice.

With the high school coach -- especially one who teaches an academic subject -- a lot of phone calls and emails have to be sent. There's also the go to the high school option, which includes just hoping you'll cross paths with the coach.

I'm mainly asking so I can let the publisher know how difficult it is to interview the football coach.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No doubt some guys are difficult to get on the phone. That's when you have to just show up at practice. Nine out of 10 of them will stop and ask "do you need me?" when they spot you lurking. If not, you just wait for a water break and walk over.

3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

While a high school coach's schedule can occasionally be difficult to navigate, how is this even a question?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Accuse one of his players in print of fellating farm animals. That will get his attention.

[/crossthread]

Doc Holliday, SFIND, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It's high school sports. Suck it up and just show up to practice.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It helps to call ahead, but for the high school coaches find out what their class schedule is and find a time where they're free. Most have a free period during the day or 30 minutes before practice when (unless they're a total jerk) they'll be happy to accommodate you.
    If it's a standard game week interview, shoot them a text the night before saying, "Hey, I'm Mr. X with the Podunk Shopper. I need to talk to you about your game this week with Shelbyville. Is there a good time to call you or catch you tomorrow?"

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had four high school football previews to set up. I sent out four texts and got answers immediately. I also showed up to practices during the summer. I've shot the shit with all of them. I've thrown all of them a bone from time to time knowing it would help me get them on the phone when I needed something. There are coaches out there who hate it when outlets only call them before the season starts and are never contacted again. You have to put in the work.

If you are just starting a relationship, reach out to the AD and get the coach's phone number. Find out when practice is and head down either right before it starts and introduce yourself or swing by at the end and grab the coach when he's finishing up. Go the extra mile.

Yes NFL coaches can be easier because they have set media availability and you have PR guys who can help you if you need a one-on-one. But there's nothing wrong with your publisher expecting you to get an interview with the high school football coach. If you can't do it, that's on you. You have to put in the work. There are rare instances where a coach is an asshole no matter how much you go out of your way to accommodate him, but again, that's rare. Put in the leg work. There's no excuse.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not every NFL PR department is in the business of saying "yes" to interview requests. Away from the scheduled press conferences and locker room scrums, it's "no" or "hell no" unless you've got a rock-solid pitch, especially from an outlet they don't deal with every day. And not a pitch for a story that's going to potentially make the team look bad.

9. albert777

albert777 Active Member

This X a million.

I'd take about a week to just veg and do nothing, work-wise, after the All-Area Baseball Team (along with PY & COY) came out, usually the first or second weekend in June, then I'd start making the rounds at the area high schools, stopping in the coaches' office or hitting them after the "voluntary" workouts and just chatting. That's also a good time to start meeting players; they see you coming around and they start getting comfortable with talking to you, and vice versa.

And not just for football, but basketball as well. June was the month when certain schools hosted summer leagues and those were excellent opportunities to get to know and hob-nob with a lot of coaches in one setting, even coaches from outside the coverage area, because you never know when having their acquaintance will pay off down the line.

Even the most prickly coaches were more relaxed in the early summer, and they all want publicity for their team and themselves, even if they don't like or trust the media. Plus, it gets you out of the office. But even during the season, I was never shy about going to practice. I might have to wait around a bit, but they'd talk to me when they got a chance, and call over any players I might need for an interview.

Batman and Maria like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I believe it was the late Jimmy Breslin who said sometimes you've just got to get out of the office. Won't kill you on a high school beat.

One year for the football tab I drew the biggest PITA coach for the preview tab. Dude never called in scores or highlights and didn't even have voicemail on his home phone. A couple of days before deadline, I told the desk I was headed out to their practice the next day and would come back with a story come hell or high water. So went out about the time I figured school was out and when I got there, bumped into one of the JV coaches, who was also softball coach and a good guy, who let me know the varsity was practicing in a couple of hours and also said he'd give me a hand getting an interview. Came back later and, after the varsity coach grumbled a bit, got my story.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hanging out with someone and watching them do what they do - whatever it is - is the best way to get them to talk to you.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's also a good time to get to know the assistant coaches, who often run the summer teams and who you should never blow off for three reasons:
    1) The most obvious being they hear things, and if you talk to them you'll hear things too.
    2) They often have important jobs within the program you might not know about, like being the stat guy or the recruiting guy. One of our big football programs has a mid-level assistant who handles both of those jobs. Getting to know him a bit in those relaxed settings has paid off on a lot of levels.
    3) Today's assistant is tomorrow's head coach, particularly at small schools or in sports with smaller staffs like basketball and baseball. Big name coach leaves, a lot of times they turn to the next guy in line to step up. If you've gotten to know the assistants, you've got a leg up.
    They might also wind up going to another school and can help you out in a pinch. Several times over the years I've called one of our former local coaches who had moved on, but still played the local teams, or even another coach in the same district that I've become friendly with. Can't get the local guy for whatever reason? Call the other one and see if they can help you out.

Draft saved Draft deleted