1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As part of my East Coast bias and someone relatively new to following the NL, I've recently discovered just how awesome this guy is. And that's my fault for not paying attention.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When did David Duchovny play in the MLB?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

'yab isn't alone on Arenado. It does seem that Arenado's notoriety does not match his production. East Coast bias might be a factor, but so is Arenado playing for losing teams. Also, how many baseball fans dismiss Rockies hitters with big numbers as products of Coors Field?

The Coors Field thing is fair. Like pretty much every quality hitter the team has had, his home/road splits do show the advantage of playing for the Rockies. His career OPS is .956 at home, .781 on the road. He has 81 home runs at home and 57 on the road. Those are a bit skewed because the gaps were wider his first two seasons, but he has been a lot better on the road since his breakout in 2015.

Also, the offensive production is just part of the deal with Arenado, who had already established himself as the best defensive third baseman in the National League before he became a top hitter.

It does seem that more fans are taking notice this season, which makes sense with the Rockies in contention.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Funny, but Duchovny actually was a really good athlete as a young man. Played basketball at Princeton, if I'm not mistaken.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Cubs place Jon Lester on disabled list

Jon Lester to the DL with "shoulder fatigue" and a lat strain. His velocity was way down during yesterday's beating. So far the guess is he only misses a couple of starts, but a shoulder problem isn't promising.

Nothing to worry about, though. It's not as if somebody brought up the thought that his age and the mileage on his arm were red flags when put in the context of his decline in performance this season. Oh wait. I did post that. And yes, I'm posting this to tweak another poster. At least I can admit when I do such a thing.

I'm also posting it because it is relevant and I'm paying close attention because he is on my fantasy baseball team.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Crack a joke and learn something new. That's why I love this site.

dixiehack and Steak Snabler like this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a lifelong Braves fan and even I didn't feel all that badly about that one.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted