1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Sure. She's pretty obviously quoting her Aunt Bee. Hence the "your mother" part of the quote later, that you didn't bold, and the apologetic "because that's how she saw it," which you also didn't bold.

I see you've received this answer many times already, and you've ignored it. I'm going to go back to tie jokes.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, you couldn't prove that Warren doesn't have that heritage. So you can retract your "fair enough" if you wish!

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Anybody done those genetic testing kits?

Is that what they're called? No idea.

cranberry posted a link earlier today.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

National Review climbs aboard the Bash Bus ...

Just minutes ago the president of the United States – the man who just yesterday said, “When I make a statement, I like to be correct. I want the facts” – fired out a tweet apparently in response to the dreadful terror attack in Barcelona, Spain. Here it is:

Trump isn’t just spreading falsehoods, he’s doing so in a context that puts a presidential stamp of approval on war crimes. Even worse, he’s doing it in direct defiance of the warrior ethos of the American military. There is no possible way that any of Trump’s generals would approve of this sentiment. I’ve never met an American officer who would carry out an order to commit an atrocity like this.

Trump is careening out of control. He says what he wants, when he wants, and neither truth nor consistency nor wisdom nor prudence dictates a single syllable that comes out of his mouth. By many accounts he’s taken to directly defying his advisers simply for the sake of declaring that he’s in charge. This isn’t leadership. It’s a collection of temper tantrums. Unfortunately, those tantrums have consequences.

In One Tweet, Donald Trump Just Spread Fake History, Libeled a Hero, and Admired an Alleged War Crime

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on the results from 23andme.com.

I'm hoping to use the info to dial in my nutritional plan for some events I'm doing next year. But as somebody who drinks 16-ounces of milk per day, I worry it'll tell me I'm lactose intolerant.

My mom has traced the family tree back to Scotland and England. I can tell you the name of every ancestor dating back to the 1610s - including a few who died on the Trail of Tears.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Elizabeth Warren...

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

A little story. Last summer, my footy team was playing a team that had a black player. His last name was Davis. (It was on his jersey.) One of my teammates started calling the player "Rajai," as in Rajai Davis, the ballplayer. He got very upset about this, and said it was super racist, because my teammate was not calling him "Al Davis" or some other generic Davis. He was calling him the name of a black Davis, not by accident. And it was true that my teammate was calling him Rajai because both Rajai Davis and this Davis were black. It wasn't an accident! And it definitely didn't matter a wit that Rajai Davis is a major-league athlete and for all I know a fine man. It ended up leading to a fight, and a red card for my teammate for racism. The league later suspended him for life.

So, YOU might not think it's racist to call someone of possible Native descent Pocahontas, but if you went up to a Native American woman in a bar and called her Pocahontas, I suspect she would very much see it as racist. Whether Elizabeth Warren actually has Native blood is kind of irrelevant to the discussion. If she thinks she does, and your response is to call her Pocahontas... Well, that's really quite racist.

PS: And yes, Trump called her Pocahontas, not because Pocahontas is an esteemed figure in American history, but because Pocahontas is the only female Native American Trump can name.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Yep, Mrs Fly and I have done the ancestry.com kit. Showed we were both pretty damn white.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Mine does not. Granted, it's a smaller one inside a grocery store.

And a journalist? I've never really been good enough at it to be called that. I'm pretty oblivious. Happy but oblivious.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Climbs aboard?

They chartered the bus.

[​IMG]

lakefront likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pocahontas is my 11th great aunt-in-law.

Suck it, Fucko.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I've taken one side to the 1600s. Census records and learning to read them was the key. Norway and Sweden.

The Eastern European side I'm lost on. Too many wars and everything was burned by one side and then the other.

My wife and I have thought about the test, dunno. She's a Canuck.

Starman knows a shit ton - as the kids would say - about genealogy research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.