1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nebraska football beat writer -- Lincoln Journal Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 22, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star is seeking an energetic, digital-minded and versatile reporter to cover the biggest sports program in Nebraska – Husker football. This person will be responsible for coverage of all aspects of Nebraska football, including recruiting, in print and online.

We’re looking for a multi-faceted reporter who can provide solid, yet innovative, beat reporting for a thirsty fan base. In addition to writing strong game stories, features and blogs, the ideal candidate will go beyond the box score, provide analysis, write engaging profiles, lead the charge on digital-only content and help strengthen our recruiting coverage.

The ideal candidate must be able to connect with our loyal print readers, and our ever-growing online audience. Top applicants must have: 1. At least two years experience out of college; 2. Experience in covering a major or high-priority sports beat; 3. A history of breaking news and developing a strong sources network; 4. Extensive experience in digital reporting, including the use of social media (Twitter, Facebook Live, etc.); 5. Comfort in providing analysis in postpractice and postgame videos, and an ability to produce videos when needed; 6. Knowledge of the recruiting landscape and how it ticks.

Efficiency and thoroughness is key. The right candidate will be able to quickly turn around stories and notebooks, and jump on breaking news items as they occur.

The job also will include occasional help with coverage of high school sports and general-assignment stories.

The Lincoln Journal Star offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401(k) plan and paid time off.

To learn more about our company or apply go to www.journalstar.com/workhere. Please include a cover letter, resume and three to four work samples.

We are a drug-free workplace and all applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background/mvr check prior to commencing employment. EOE

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Nebraska Football Beat Writer

2. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

When I clicked the link to see the position, I didn't see it on the page.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What happened to the incumbent? Is Sipple still on the beat?

4. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Has anyone who applied heard back on this yet?

5. ThornC

ThornC New Member

I applied for one of their jobs about 3 months ago and I was eventually told they decided not to fill the position. Some wonky stuff going on there in Lincoln.

MiamiBoy likes this.
  6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I remember applying and hearing the same thing ThornC did. Then I saw another job posting pop up not long after that. Looked like the same job.

7. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Sounds like things are getting curiouser and curiouser at the LJS.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I had the same thing happen. They had a HS position and it wasn't filled. That usually means the company got to the job and axed it before the paper could hire someone.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I know they have a secondary football guy who also covers men's basketball and baseball.

Wouldn't be a surprise if they just made him the No. 1, but if any beat would deserve double-teaming, that's it. Especially since they spend the money to go on the road with a dreadful men's basketball team.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Great program to cover. Endless stories and fun telling them. Somebody needs to go get this gig.

11. robesity

robesity New Member

I can weigh in, since I work here. The two previously open jobs (preps and a recruiting position) were frozen. All above our pay grade (and unfortunately not that uncommon in today's market and industry climate).

But we are indeed filling the football beat position and should be moving forward with the process early next week.

12. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

They found their man.

Draft saved Draft deleted