1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was watching the game on TV. Eduardo Perez, who just NEVER stops talking, had just spent five minutes dissecting Judge's stance and swing. There were side-by-side photos of his stance in April and now. Slo-mo of his swing. Where his hands are, where his hips are, where his back is. Nonstop commentary from Perez on how different it is and that's the reason Judge is struggling since the All-Star break.
    Oh, he paused for a second and Judge launched this massive shot.
    They never backtracked, they never said, "uh, nice timing." Nothing. I generally appreciate Perez's knowledge, but he needs to learn how to be more concise. He just doesn't stop.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

ICYMI yesterday, Jered Weaver retired.
    He finished with a 150-98 record, 1,598 strikeouts, three all-star appearances and a couple of top-three Cy Young finishes. Nobody's starting a HOF thread for him, but that's pretty damn respectable.

Veteran pitcher Weaver announces retirement

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when reading about Weaver's career. He will never be mentioned among the top pitchers of his era, but his numbers are, as you wrote, pretty damn respectable.

He was top 5 in Cy Young voting in '10, '11 and '12 and pitched well in the postseason, too.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any appreciation I could have had for Jered was washed away by the awfulness and petulance of Jeff. Man, I couldn't stand that guy.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Weaver is Derek Lowe without the ring and the 3 years as a closer. That's not a bad thing to be.

It's pretty amazing how quickly he fell apart, though. He went from leading the AL in Ks at 27 to command-control innings eater at 30, to absolute disaster at 32.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My niece went to high school with Jered and said he was a jerk, too. Her husband played ball against him and tells a story about wearing a fastball in the ribs after taunting him with chants of "Weeeee-ver, Weeeee-ver."

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I played poker with him when he was hanging out in St. Louis with his brother during the 2006 World Series. At the bar's last call he bought the entire room drinks -- probably 50-60 people in all.

He also bullied me off a nice starting hand (KQ suited) by putting $1,000 out there with JJ on a $2/5 table. Fucker.

JakeandElwood likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lester vs. Reds today: 5 outs, 7 hits, 1 BB, 9 runs

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was looking to see if Armando Benitez pulled off the feat and found this one from 1999.

WILD-PITCH ENDING BRINGS AT LEAST ONE-GAME PLAYOFF

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jon Lester sucks and so do the Cubs.

steveu likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dickie remains unconcerned.

To be fair, Lester left with the trainer, so maybe he was pitching through an injury. My fantasy team weeps.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't realize the nine runs all came in the second inning.

Draft saved Draft deleted