1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, FWIW, this guy says that Bannon was surprised:

Steve Bannon thought he wasn't giving an interview

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, that's cover for him.

He knew.

Just the facts ma am likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bannon just thought he was "leaking" not speaking. Honestly, what is the point of having a Comms Director, except to have someone to fire when someone says something anonymously.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I also think the "leak" was Bannon saving his job. Hell, doesn't sound like it was that long of a conversation, but a) it drew attention away from Charlottesville b) put the focus on China/North Korea (highlighting Kim's concession) c) distanced Bannon (and Trump) from the Nazis with the dismissive remarks d) will probably keep Bannon in the West Wing for the foreseeable future. It was just crass enough to be seen as a gaffe and become "a thing", not too crass to cost him his job. Pretty brilliant move.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

After LBJ signed a bunch of civil rights laws, Republicans won five out of the next six elections and would have run the table if Nixon hadn't been a dumbass running up the score with Watergate. But I'm glad Johnson sacked up and did the right thing, plus wasn't scared to talk about it. At a certain point if we're too scared to talk about what is clearly right and wrong, then we're a shit country and deserve to fall.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mostly on target but I don't think the GOP holds onto the White House in '76, even if Watergate never happens. The GOP certainly didn't have any heir-apparent figure waiting in the wings after Nixon.

Pretty much everybody considered Spiro Agnew a complete boob, definitely including Nixon, who had quite pointedly avoided allowing Agnew to do anything that might have established him as a successor.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Reagan gave Ford a helluva scare in 76. Maybe he wins, moves everything up four years, then leaves town at the beginning of 85 with his mind mostly intact.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. Ford was running damaged from the get-go in '76, due to the pardon of Nixon, which allowed both Reagan in the primaries, then Carter in the general, to attack Ford as tainted by Nixon's corruption.

Without the Watergate scandal, Reagan probably can't make as much hay running against the "corrupt Washington machine."

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I posted something along these lines earlier, but I really do believe Bannon about the white nationalists. I think he has a really particularized vision that dumb racists pick up and run with because it doesn't translate well to the masses. One of the people who is too stupid to process and articulate it is the President.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is Axios? This is the second day in a row I have seen that site linked.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The ride never ends.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.