1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The fallout from sportswriting's filthiest @#$%-up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there haven't been more of these as copy desks have been gutted and wages slashed. It's a miracle that newspapers still attract many people who still strive to do good work and take their task more seriously than management does.

3. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I had never heard that story. There is really no excuse for something like that happening, but there probably isn't a sports writer around who hasn't accidentally let an f-bomb slip into print. I once wrote a brief on deadline about a local college basketball team's win in which they "converted x of x shits from 3-point range." It was on an inside page, and was overlooked by a lot of readers. Those who did notice it, though, understood correctly that it was a typo.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That was a really good read.

"And yet... Gannett" would be a great slogan.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sure. That's your story and you are sticking to it!

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard this either, or some how completely forgot about it. And I was in college when it happened and in the heart of all the main journalism classes after the case was decided. Crazy.

I might be reading too much into it, but it would almost seem the reporter never recovered.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I will never ever forget the phrase "Dixon sucks donkey dicks and doesn't wipe the shit off."

From the day I saw that (probably a couple of days or weeks after publication), I stopped putting any kind of jokes whatsoever in dummy type. If "hedy goes herey" got in the paper, I'd be the only one embarrassed.

Batman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I used to have XXX dummied under the mug shot box I pulled from my InDesign library. When I left that unchanged under a photo in the paper once (I didn't get any calls or complaints), I realized I should change it to YYY or something so people didn't think I was inferring some high school volleyball player had a side job in the adult film industry or something. Or that they were a Vin Diesel character. I think I changed it into Namey McNamerson eventually.

9. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Considering the i and o keys are side-by-side, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Remember the story at the time, but didn't remember the details.

One question beyond the obvious: Why in the hell was what should have been a routine soccer preview being filed on such a tight deadline?

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

A local college paper ran 'bad-ass mother fucker' under a mug in an edition. Issue still hangs in the SID office.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is the "some fucker" cutline still out there somewhere?

Steak Snabler likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted