1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Frank Broyles, 92

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If we can get YF to send out, I don't know, maybe three more snarky answers, we might have to forego the RIP.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's your problem with Frank Broyles?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Hayden Fry at SMU was the first to recruit blacks in the SWC. Houston was also recruiting blacks but not yet in the SWC. Arkansas had a walk-on in 1965 but did not recruit a black until 1969.

Was Ole Miss the last major college to integrate?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ole Miss was the last in the SEC to play a black player. Ben Williams was on the 1972 team but didn't play until the first home game at the end of September. That allowed LSU to beat them to the punch by two weeks.

6. albert777

albert777 Active Member

BYU is the only other school I can think of that might have integrated after Ole Miss. Anyone know for certain? Couldn't find it on the googles.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Looks like 1970, following the backlash at Wyoming where 14 players were kicked off the team for planning to protest before playing the all-white Cougars.

The Black 14: Race, Politics, Religion and Wyoming Football | WyoHistory.org

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted