1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Darren Daulton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Aug 6, 2017.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

First wife Lynne Austin, Playboy Playmate of the Year and model for the Hooters logo.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Austin was also selected as the 1987 Playmate of the Year for the Dutch edition of Playboy."

The "Dutch" edition. Can't make this shit up.

Lynne Austin - Wikipedia

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Reminds me of this pic with Daulton's wife

[​IMG]

4. I was 11 turning 12 when the Phils took Southeastern PA/South Jersey/Delaware on that crazy ride to the World Series and Dutch was the undisputed heart and soul of that team. His knees were starting to give him trouble but he still caught about 90 percent of the games that year, hit cleanup and led by example. Nothing makes you feel older than a guy you rooted for as a kid passing away, especially at a still-too-early age of 55.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm biased because I was in South Jersey at the time, but one of those hosts raised this on KNBR this morning:
    Are the '93 Phillies the most famous non-WS winners?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe the '67 Red Sox give them a run for their money.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Interesting side topic and thread. Not sure how you quantify such a thing, but the Phillies had some characters who managed to stay in the news for years (dykstra, kruk, schilling), they lost in climatic fashion, I want to say the 1993 World Series was a subplot in an Adam sandler movie.

However, the answer may be generational and geographical. I am sure the 1954 Indians and the 1960 Yankees have their backers. I would go 86 sox over 67, but I watched 86 live...so generational. Hell, 75 sox were a subplot in good will hunting. Early 1990s braves were an interesting bunch. 1985 cards would be on that list.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

86 Red Sox. Epic collapse.

Buckner was on Curb Your Enthusiasm 30 years later

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'll bet a nontrivial number of fans think the '03 Yankees were champions, because the ALCS received more attention than the Series that year and that memory gap has only increased with time.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

1919 white Sox

Michael_ Gee, dixiehack and BTExpress like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I flew up for Games 3-4-5. Nothing says misery like sitting in damp, 40-something degree weather (at the end) watching Mitch Williams (and Larry Andersen) blow a 14-9 lead in the eighth inning.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Two Red Sox teams mentioned and not the right one: 1975. You see ONE highlight from that series over and over again, and it's from the losing team.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted