1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we not have a running 2017 golf thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, May 26, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He's a very part-time 2 handicap against 155 guys who pour their lives into the game because their livelihood is to get the ticket to the show. Yeah, it's impressive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's remarkable, especially considering he was 3 over through 5 holes. To be able to grind out 1 over the rest of the way, well, that's darn near Tour-like.

Deskgrunt50 and MileHigh like this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You know, if he goes out and shoots 28-over, that's EXACTLY what I would say. But man, the guy has a little game. No shame at all in +4.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

How's this one?
    Pro-Am golf tournament going on in town.
    Good friend of mine had a Ford/Dodge dealership here in town.
    Sold the Dodge part of it to another dealer here in town 2 years ago.
    He hits a hole in one yesterday......the prize......
    Yep.....Dodge Charger from the other dealer.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

More like a Dodge Charger from the insurance company that underwrote the contest ...

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Another 74 for Curry. Finished 11 shots off the cut line but beat three pros.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The most unfortunate part of this whole thing was that the PGA Tour couldn't find a way to exercise a little creativity and get some of this on live TV; it probably would have been its highest-rated event of the year by a long shot.

I read or heard somewhere that the event gave out 80 media credentials. Few others were going to bring that much attention to an event where many in the field have to wear name tags so they're not completely anonymous.

Obviously the guy's a player, and he never needed 25 minutes to find his way back to the fairway when he missed one.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Johnson and Pieters are co-leaders at Firestone. A double-phallic headline writer's dream.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He's better at golf than any PGA Tour player would be at basketball.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Woody Johnson and Dick Trickle love this.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The PGA Tour got cameras out there and posted clips of many of his best shots, which was enough for me. I think it's a slippery slope to take an event that wasn't going to be televised and then have it televised because of one guy who's not a Tour player. And it's easier to debate after he had two solid rounds; if it's live and Curry is terrible, then the Tour is exposed for the stunt.

Chef2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted