1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerts thread: Best/Worst/Next/Last one you attended?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It was almost like it is now Tom Petty and Mike Campbell and the Heartbreakers, Campbell got way more time in the spotlight than I remembered in other Petty shows I have seen.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sir Paul tomorrow night. Taking the little ones, too.

3. Dick Whitman

McCartney show in the books. Surreal, in some ways. Danced with my 4-year-old to "Hard Day's Night" and about three or four other songs at the start of the show before she pooped out.

It was her first concert and when "Hard Day's Night" ended, she asked, "Is he going to sing another song?"

He sang about 40 more songs.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ringo is my kids' favorite. If Yellow Submarine comes on everything stops.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm now hoping this Arcade Fire tour is heavy on the greatest hits because this new album outside the title track and Cresture Comfort is - how do I say this responsibly given I haven't spent enough time with it yet? - full of garbage disposal chunks.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, we went to see Gaelic Storm at an Irish festival. They were playing at 8:15 on a Sunday night, which isn't a great time for a 16-month-old, or my early to rise wife, bit I really wanted to go, and to bring Fiona. When ever we listen to them, Fiona dances. It's unlike her reaction to any other band.

It ended up working out well. Fiona had fun and danced, and my wife really got into it.

Tonight we're seeing Lyle Lovett and his Large Band. Really looking forward to it.

7. Dick Whitman

I feel that way about the new Shins.

Hermes likes this.
  8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I (unfortunately) won't be able to go to any of the shows, but Phish is apparently putting on quite a run of shows for it's 13-night "Baker's Dozen" residency at MSG. Each night is loosely themed around the free donuts they're handing out at the doors--e.g., Cinnamon Glazed Donuts=Cinnamon Girl encore. Seven (long) shows in, and they've yet to repeat a single song (which, in theory, is kind of cool, although I could also see being annoying if you're only going to a single show and end up only hearing one or two of your favorite songs).

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'm finding the AF fanbase is the UK basketball fanbase of music, based on the response to the new album. Yes, it's not "Funeral" or "The Suburbs," but how many acts in the history of recorded music have ever made more than one album on that level?

ETA: Caught a show from France on Twitter, and they sounded great as ever, new and old stuff. No fear about 9/15 in Boston.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

But see, I was the guy who stood up for Reflektor. I loved it. It's a great album. But a song like "Peter Pan" is either a Bob Dylan "Self Portrait" type of self sabotage or simply the work of a band out of ideas.

Be my Wendy, I’ll be your Peter Pan
    Come on baby, take my hand

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, we saw Kenny Loggins, who was fronting the Pacific Symphony Orchestra. I was never a big fan of Loggins, but it was a great concert. Great musicians coming together.
    Last night, The Marshall Tucker Band at the OC Fair. Unfortunately, Doug Gray just can't sing anymore. Marcus James Henderson is the best musician in the group -- keyboards, flute, sax. He was awesome. The music is still good. Enjoyed it. Doesn't really matter if Gray can sing.

12. August West

August West Member

Apparently, I'm about 10 years late to this thread...

Best: Grateful Dead, Dekalb, IL 10/29/77
    Worst: maybe Phil & Friends 2008 (or any show in which he thinks it's a good idea to sing)
    Last: funky Meters coupla weeks ago on a boat in NY Harbor
    Next: no idea but it'll probably be someone from New Orleans

Draft saved Draft deleted