1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was your first post? (on your current ID)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, Aug 2, 2017.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Scrolling through the reference guide for newbies, I started getting nostalgic about my early days here and wondered what my first ever post was on SJ. Took a bit of scrolling, but I found it. Apparently I was trying to give advice on the old Writer's Workshop in 2007 when I barely knew my ass from a hole in the wall.

At least I wasn't being a prick, or, as my board nemesis likes to say, a "nonce."

So what was your first post on SJ.com? I know some of you have been through multiple IDs, so you can just stick with your current one if you are that much of a rebel.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I know it was a political post and dooley implied I was a site veteran under a new handle.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, you stopped being a nonce when you stopped hammering me about one single questionable post I made that I maybe, possibly regret.

Thankfully that wasn't my first post or my last. Will have to go hunting for my first when I'm at a proper computer.

TyWebb likes this.
  4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"Been with Sprint for 13+ years now, and have tried every other provider except Verizon at one time or another. Sprint has served me best for price, call quality and service. $100/month for everything everything, which is great for my job and personal needs."

Oct. 12, 2010

It's been all downhill since then :)

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I posted on a thread about movie and TV scenes that made me cry.

Going from memory here, it was:

From a League of Their Own, when Betty finds out her husband died with the telegram in the locker room.

My Girl: When Vada tells Macauley Culkin's character's mom that he's doing fine in heaven because her mother, who died in childbirth, will take care of him.

From Different Strokes, an episode where Willis wants to assert his independence as a man instead of a child, so he moves out of the apartment and with a friend who drinks. The two of them drink a bunch, then get in an accident. Willis comes back home injured and humbled, asks Mr. D. if he can help his friend, which Mr. D promises he will, then the phone rings. Willis is given the phone, then finds out that his friend died. He starts crying, and says "look, I'm crying like a little boy." Then Mr. D tells him that he's crying like a man.

A couple of others that I don't recall.

I think it was Simon Cowbell who called it the best debut post ever, or something like that.

Of course, to echo Speedtchr, it's been a long way down from there.

ADD: Steel Magnolias, when Julia Roberts' character dies, and Sally Field is at the funeral saying she wants to hit someone, then Olympia Dukakis offers up Shirley McClain as a punching bag.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

From July 2006 and "Best quote you couldn't use":

This happened more than 20 years ago and it's still my favorite.
    I was a rookie reporter covering a high school basketball team I had only seen once before. In the first game, they had a 6-8 guy who had a great game. He didn't play in the second game.

ME: Coach, why didn't Cady play today?

COACH: Cuz he's a fucking asshole.

NOTE: It's now more than 30 years and still my favorite

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

April 2005, in the Books Thread discussing "Word Freak" by Stefan Fatsis.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My first post doesn't show up. Only goes back to February of 2006.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Every thread that ended before July 2006 has been purged, so my first post is long gone. But a few older posts from longstanding threads at the time survived, so I think I have a post from 2005 on the Livestrong thread.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My first post couldn't have been that great, since no one asked me to fetch them a beer.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Was in 2010, someone said something about Cliff Lee "refusing" to go on short rest in Game 4 of the ALDS. I said it was b.s. Shortly thereafter I was called a troll and a liar.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was complaining about Tom Verducci's "number salads" he inserts into every story. You'll be going along and he'll throw in a paragraph with 10 or more different numbers

"Gray has some red flags, including an injury history, a late load to his delivery that stresses his shoulder and arm, and, at 5'10", a lack of height. Only two righthanded pitchers that short in the past 30 years have taken full turns in a rotation at those ages: Tom Gordon and Steve Stone. Gray's workload must be managed closely. On the other hand he is still just 27 years old, he finished third in the AL Cy Young voting just two years ago and he is under control for the Yankees for the next two seasons at ages 28 and 29. He has also been lights out lately (a 1.37 ERA in his past six starts) and has the stuff to last three times around a batting order in a postseason game."

Eliotte took me to the shed (politely) and I felt like I was official.

Draft saved Draft deleted