1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Was surprised to learn that batting helmets didn't become mandatory in MLB until the late 1950s — in fact, like hockey, players who didn't want to wear a helmet were grandfathered in, and the last one retired in 1979.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Beltre at 2,999. Shit's getting real.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but helmets weren't introduced to MLB at all until 1941, and became virtually universal within 15 years. Football facemasks were quite rare before 1955; everybody used them by 1965.

With bat speed and hit speed becoming more of a "thing," you'll probably see pitchers getting drilled on the mound with increasing frequency. That'll bring on the pitching headgear.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know it only takes one in the right place to make a tragedy and cause a radical shift, but it's still the baseball equivalent of the planet-killing asteroid hitting Earth. There's a few out there that can do it, but the odds are still generally small when you think of how many pitches are thrown in a game, an MLB day or a week.
    According to Baseball Reference, there have been 214,731 games played. At a conservative average of 250 pitches per game (an uneducated guess), that's a little less than 54 million pitches in about 120 years of professional baseball. And how many times has a pitcher been hit in the head to the point that their careers were ended? Few enough that we probably could name a lot of them.
    So it happens, but it's still a statistical blip that if you obsess over it you won't be able to function.
    For the padded head gear to really take hold, one of three things has to happen -- either someone dies; someone (probably a superstar) suffers a severe head injury to the point that they never recover; or these incidents become so frequent that it becomes a crisis. Sadly, I'd bet on one of the first two happening before the third.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Options 1 and 2 are obviously statistical longshots, but I bet the frequency of incidents at lower levels will continue to increase. And they will develop lighter and less cumbersome headgear, and over (I'd bet) the next 10-15 years, the adoption of headgear will happen.

Of course if either of your headline incidents occur, it'll happen overnight.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I remember in the '60s, people registered legitimate concern that a Frank Howard line drive would kill someone, and soon.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Beltre does it ... ropes one down 3B line for a double ...

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In his Hall of Fame speech, Tim Raines mentioned Jonah Keri campaigning on his behalf. Such an incredible (and rare) gesture:

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10 years ago no one thought he was on a Hall of Fame track. Five years ago people still debated whether he'd have a chance to get in. Amazing second-half career.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted