1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Author's Look Into the Future

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I like driving, too. I consider myself to be an environmental person, and I will find it really, really hard to give up my gas-powered truck.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They'll have to pry the five speed out of my cold dead fingers.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you'll all have a choice once self-driving is proven significantly safer.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If and/or when
    Yep; there will be a phased transition. For a time, self-drivers will probably have to pay higher insurance rates.

After safety differences become apparent, human licensing restrictions will become tougher and tougher.

There will, of course, be economic-access arguments during the process.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

So with all this technology putting everyone out of work, how are supposed to afford housing and food?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Said the blacksmith ...

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wish we could somehow make Henry Hazlitt required reading for all school kids.

The Curse of Machinery | Henry Hazlitt

Also, self driving cars have been way overhyped. There are so many logistical things related to them that are likely going to keep complete integration from happening as soon as a lot of people think. Take a place like Manhattan. Driving there can be like a blood sport. Put driverless cars on 5th Avenue, and pedestrians and bikers will take over the road and cause traffic standstills. The term that John Adams, the risk theorist uses is, "deferential paralysis." The technology as it exists, programs the vehicles to respond with extreme deference to pedestrians, cyclists and other cars with human drivers -- giving sacred cow status to anything that isn't self driving. In dense urban areas, that will end up with deferential paralysis for anyone in a self driving car, creating gridlock.

I'm not suggesting that driverless cars aren't where we are very likely headed. And I am sure there are ways to work around kinks like the one I am describing (and there are other logistical things that need to be worked out, too, on top of people needing to want to adopt it). But they are probably not quick or easy. Revolutionary things usually don't work on the timelines some people expect when they get excited about an idea or a technology.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    RickStain likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd say the communications/media revolution has surpassed what people might have expected 2 decades ago. Flying cars? Still waiting. Much easier to revolutionize the movement of data than people.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Careful ... before you know it someone will be accusing you of having "left your raising" ...

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The desalination thing where water was plentiful and virtually free would solve like 90 percent of the world's problems theoretically, right? I mean, we're human beings so we'd fuck it up, but in a bubble we'd be pretty golden as a species if everyone had access to water.

11. It'll be like wearing helmets in the NHL, only with a LOT more Craig MacTavishes in the world.

And the original article posted on this thread is more than a year old.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

1998 Subaru Forester. 235K.

I'm drawing a blank - what is TJ?

Draft saved Draft deleted