1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you liked New Coke in 1985, guess what: here comes New Coke Zero.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The cane sugar has nothing to do with any perceived taste difference.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You can pry regular Diet Coke from my cold dead fingers.

Dyno likes this.
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I can't drink Diet Coke anymore. I don't like coffee, so DC was my go-to.

After 30 years of it I get a ache in my gut.

I've had to switch to Diet Dr Pepper, don't get the ache.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Coke Zero is disgusting compared to the magical elixir that is Diet Coke. The only person I know who drinks Coke Zero is also the stupidest person I know.

Amy and Dick Whitman like this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Diet Coke is theoretically disgusting. The first time you taste it, it's awful.. But once you've become addicted to it, it's one of the best tastes in the world. After years of Diet Coke, regular Coke tastes bad to me.

ChrisLong and Dick Whitman like this.
  6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Cut out all pop -- diet or otherwise -- about 3 years ago. Before that, I guzzled Coke Zero like it was going out of style. Then I realized I didn't want all those chemicals going into me. Now I drink seltzer (usually Polar's seasonal flavors but their ruby red grapefruit is my year-round go-to). Every so often I think I have a craving for Coke or Coke Zero but when I take a sip, it's like drinking syrup. Still, if it was 3 years ago at the height of my addiction and they started fucking with Coke Zero, I'd be rallying mobs with pitchforks and torches.

And Diet Coke is freakin' terrible.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I quit pop several squares back, although it can be tough to walk by the fridge in the kitchen here at the office which is loaded with the stuff, including my all time fave, Dr Pepper.

The World of Coke in Atlanta is pretty cool. Might have been the last time I had a Coke, which I used to drink fairly regularly.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My wife hounds me about my guzzling of aspartame water. I repeat the same thing over and over: "Every human being has a vice. Everybody. They may not admit it, but they've got a vice. I'm pretty sure if I do away with my Diet Coke vice, my new vice will be something much more destructive. And the new vice probably ends with you chasing me down the street with a baseball bat."

This is my dumb, unsubstantiated theory. This dumb theory has kept her from taking my Diet Coke away from me.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I just keep playing the "I haven't been sick since one Saturday in 1974" card about my diet soda addiction.

Dick Whitman and Hermes like this.
  10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It may not be cane sugar, but friends have set up blind taste tests of corn syrup drinks and sugar cane drinks for me, and I have passed them with a 100 percent accuracy. They've done this with caffeine-free drinks, too, and again, I have a perfect track record.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Didn't TAB have saccarine? Is that even worse than the aspartame in Diet Coke?

I quit soda from time to time, trying to pretend I can kick my Coca-Cola habit. I'm having several of them a week now, and when I do, it's always the fully-leaded Coke, Cherry Coke, etc.

Diet soda is like light beer. They're both still bad for you, so why not drink the ones that taste better?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think originally TAB had cyclamates, which was one of the first nasty chemical artificial sweeteners. Every few years they come up with a new list of bad side effects, then they switch to some new shit.

I've cut way way down on my pop intake; for literally decades I slammed 6, 10 or more a day; a year or so ago I just quit routinely buying cartons of pop. Now I drink a couple cans a week.

I've switched over mostly to Crystal Lite style instant drinks; mix up a pitcher in the morning and guzzle all day.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted