1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Roll call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jul 9, 2017.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Glad to see you 'round these parts again, JD. Hope you're hanging in there.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The times when I was approached, the precise street name in the French Quarter where we happened to be was the only acceptable answer. As in, "You got them shoes on Royal Street in New Orleans, Louisiana."

Trying to remember being shot at on the interstate but not recalling such a thing.

3. Johnny Dangerously

So good to see all the familiar names on here. Hiya, SpeedTchr, dixiehack. Hope all is well with youse. KJIM, I'm pretty sure I owe you an email update. Lots of catching up. I hope you're well, too.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. Johnny Dangerously

Accepted the job seven years ago today. Looking back, I'm reminded of how much fun and excitement there was in the weeks before (and after) this thread. A few things stand out from the trip up for the interview.

Flew up on a Saturday from New Orleans to PDX, where the publisher met me after he landed there as he returned from his annual fishing trip to Alaska. We chatted as he drove me down to where I'd spend the next two-plus days. He dropped me off at a small cottage he owned and gave me the keys to the truck in the driveway, telling me to spend my Sunday as I saw fit. His wife had left me some Pacific Northwest coffee. Did a solo walking tour of the quaint downtown, saw the outside of the newspaper's offices, and then reconnected with micro. We hadn't spent time together since the 2005 College World Series, so it was fun to converse in person instead of here at SJ. Great call by micro to do a walking tour of the local college campus. Did the interview rounds Monday. Flew back to New Orleans on Tuesday. Proofread a 16o-page football preview on Wednesday, and accepted the job on Thursday.

Lunch on interview day was at a popular rooftop bar/restaurant one block from the paper: great view of a sunny Oregon summer day, terrific food and spectacular weather. I think they had me when I realized, "Wow, you can comfortably eat outside here at midday in July. On a rooftop. In July. Outside."

The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous. If you've never been, you're missing out. And if you're ever in the Portland area and would like to grab coffee, a meal or a beer, let me know. Thanks for indulging me in this trip down Memory Lane.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I will definitely look you up if I ever get out there. I'm often in Vancouver but it's still a bit of a haul. ;)

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Late to the party; it's been vacation time around here. Still poking around. Good to see you still around, JD.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

JD, I'm in if you'll take me to the Bridgeport brewpub in the Pearl.

8. Johnny Dangerously

9. Johnny Dangerously

As I posted elsewhere after just now realizing it, I began my trek to the Pacific Northwest exactly seven years ago today.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn, I love this board.

Thanks for the flashbacks, JD.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It has its flaws, but it's a really remarkable little slice of the Internet with otherworldly resiliency.

Huggy and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted